• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Ivy Bridge Rumors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
http://wccftech.com/intel-ivy-bridge-features-95w-tdp-core-i7-3770k-retail-box-pics-confirm/

95W, and crappy OC? Looks like the first stepping is not as expected..

Intel Ivy Bridge platform’s launch is just around the corner and tons of previews and benchmarks of the processors have already started to pop up. According to most of the results, Intel’s Ivy Bridge cannot be overclocked near the Sandy Bridge levels on Air Cooling and recent retail box pictures from Chinese market show that the first stepping would of Ivy Bridge processors would feature 95W TDP designs.

We already reported that Ivy Bridge could be worse overclockers on air that Sandy Bridge due to a fault in their 22nm Tri-Gate fabrication process where the transistors are being supplied high amounts of voltages so when users try to overclock these new processors at higher voltages, Due to excess current the temperatures sky-rocket.

The Voltage issue on one side, Now pictures of the retail boxes from China have emerged which show that the flagship model “Core i7 3770K” which was meant to feature 77W TDP would now get a 95W TDP design same as the past Sandy Bridge models. The only difference left in Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge would be better performance per clock while the power consumption would be same or worse with overclockers only going past 4.7GHz + at most under suitable thermal conditions.

NordicHardware’s sources are also confirming that the European Retail Boxes of the Ivy Bridge processors are also getting the 95W TDP design. Its uncertain though if Intel would address the issue through a new stepping or not. For now, you’re better off with your Sandy Bridge processors which could be used on Z77 boards.

Wow that its pretty unfortunate, good thing I'll be overclocking with liquid nitrogen

TRI-Gate is a fail 95w at 22nm they need to go back to single-Gate at 22nm.:bang head

If the power is real clean there should not be many issues.

This is going to happen though and the smaller you go the more issues you may have. We are approaching levels where things (structures) become very susceptible to damage from the electrons.

If the power is real clean there should not be many issues.

This is going to happen though and the smaller you go the more issues you may have. We are approaching levels where things (structures) become very susceptible to damage from the electrons.

What i'm saying is that 3 gates use more power then 1 gate and the les leakage you get with 3 gates does not help when your using 3 times the amount of power in the 3 gates.

22nm is not the problem it's the TRI-Gates on every transistor billons of them.

Attachments

• tri-gate.jpg
    tri-gate.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 98
What i'm saying is that 3 gates use more power then 1 gate and the les leakage you get with 3 gates does not help when your using 3 times the amount of power in the 3 gates.

I'm going to take a wild guess, assuming I'm not smart enough to know enough about microprocessor design, and say that I bet its a problem with the manufacturing process in fabbing on 22nm and a new transistor design. Once they refine the process, I imagine they will reduce the current leakage/heat issue when ran above stock. It looks like at stock they are already doing ok, with exception of hitting the TDP they were after.

Lets take out the OC talk here for a moment and focus on the technology.

Clock for clock Tri-Gate is faster. It is a step in the right direction.

So even at the same TDP Tri-Gate is more efficient.

So it comes down to PPW. Hell I will test this when they come out because the OC thing is just a bonus for play. When I buy I look a PPW and PPD.

I'm going to take a wild guess, assuming I'm not smart enough to know enough about microprocessor design, and say that I bet its a problem with the manufacturing process in fabbing on 22nm and a new transistor design. Once they refine the process, I imagine they will reduce the current leakage/heat issue when ran above stock. It looks like at stock they are already doing ok, with exception of hitting the TDP they were after.
You just half to ask your self where is the improvement in the 22nm and tri-gate transistor. If it where a fabrication problem they would have had it worked out by now. Intel has been working on this for 3 years and they have been using the 22nm in the intel SSD just fine.

It uses more power and heat when you overclock, it's just easier to cover up so it's hard to tell the difference like when they test sandy bridge performance and ivy bridge the review sites don't do it clock for clock.

Last edited:
Lets take out the OC talk here for a moment and focus on the technology.

Clock for clock Tri-Gate is faster. It is a step in the right direction.

So even at the same TDP Tri-Gate is more efficient.

So it comes down to PPW. Hell I will test this when they come out because the OC thing is just a bonus for play. When I buy I look a PPW and PPD.

TRI-Gate has not proven to be faster, intel did TRi-Gate to reduce leakage it's something new and it's not working as planed on paper before production.

I can see by the design that it's not more efficient it has more circuitry to go through, I hope they drop that design in the future like intel's net burst flub.

Last edited:
TRI-Gate has not proven to be faster, intel did TRi-Gate to reduce leakage it's something new and it's not working as planed on paper before production.

I can see by the design that it's not more efficient it has more circuitry to go through, I hope they drop that design in the future like intel's net burst flub.

We will see.

You just half to ask your self where is the improvement in the 22nm and tri-gate transistor. If it where a fabrication problem they would have had it worked out by now. Intel has been working on this for 3 years and they have been using the 22nm in the intel SSD just fine.

A few things here:

1. The improvement is in two places. Stock performance clock for clock versus SB. And scaling. SB couldn't go much past 6GHz on the top end - IB is already going past 7GHz. At its foundation, IB is a more capable solution... The heat is a problem, and it will need to be fixed, and it could keep many people off of IB at least until their concerns are addressed. If Intel can address that, they're good to go with enthusiasts.

2. They only started fabricating these in volume recently. These are first retail revisions. 3 years is nothing in the scheme of transistor design, if that 3 year figure is accurate as I don't know where it came from or how long IB has actually been in the pipeline. Bulldozer started 6 years before it hit shelves for instance.

3. 22nm NAND and 22nm CPU dies... I don't know if that has anything meaningful in common. Maybe it does.

It uses more power and heat when you overclock, it's just easier to cover up so it's hard to tell the difference like when they test sandy bridge performance and ivy bridge the review sites don't do it clock for clock.
Guess you aren't planning to read the right review sites. Ours, for one, will have clock-for-clock comparison. I don't for most reviews (what's the point of clock for clock SNB-E vs SNB; it's apples and potatoes), but this one is important to see what difference there is, if any.

Guess you aren't planning to read the right review sites. Ours, for one, will have clock-for-clock comparison. I don't for most reviews (what's the point of clock for clock SNB-E vs SNB; it's apples and potatoes), but this one is important to see what difference there is, if any.

Potatoes are known as "Apple of the earth" in at least a couple languages.

This a tic change from SB to IB it is apples to apples for performance measuring

A Tock they change the micro architecture.

anandtech QUOTE:As Ivy is a tick in Intel's cadence, we shouldn't see much of a performance improvement

Where not comparing SNB-e vs SNB

This a tic change from SB to IB it is apples to apples for performance measuring

anandtech QUOTE:As Ivy is a tick in Intel's cadence, we shouldn't see much of a performance improvement

That is a helluva tick man.

Where not comparing SNB-e vs SNB

Yes, I know. That's why I'm comparing clock-for-clock in our review.

Back