• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to have a VALID Ip address!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

milad_sm

i don't have a real IP!!
my ip is not valid, and from my little knowledge of networking, i know the network is NATing all the IPs in my netwok, which is connected to a broadband, through the same router! (eh?!)
my connection drops once in a while...so i called to broadband company, and they say the connection's fine. he then told me to turn off my router and wait for 15 seconds before turning it back on. that's all he said. well, it worked, so, i am guessing that my guess is right and the NATing and i don't what else, is putting too much pressure on the router.
the company has given me 5 IP's...but i don't know how to set it up...
i mean, i kinda do, but it doesn't work! (kinda same thing!)
and...when i am given an ip, that means it's static right?
gimme some tips plz guys!
thanks!

p.s., don't check the IP address of this post, i am on a different comp now!!

Well you've probably got a Cisco DSL router. Look through your instruction book. I don't see how they could have given you 5 real world IP addresses, Routers seperate network segments, which means each port on the router needs an ip and each computer connected needs an ip. To have these real world would mean your router would be taking 2 ips and your computers the rest. I doubt an ISP would allow this. Chances are when they said 5 IPs they meant 5 fake IPs, IE they wont yell at you for connecting 5 computers to you DSL modem.

You cannot have a valid IP if your ISP won't give you one. Public IP space is a valuable commodity today, with the IPv4 spec almost used up. ipv6 should fix this with 32-bit addressing. There should be enough IP addresses to give every man/woman/child an address.

"%ping wife
resolving "wife" to ip address 1046.3525.2556.2353.4667

64 bits from wife
64 bits from wife
64 bits from wife
64 bits from wife
64 bits from wife

Success!!! 5/5 pings 0% packet loss

I am so funny:p

really?!
i didn't know! but you know, they have given me a list of all the DNS numbers and the gateway and other stuff, and then i have 5 IPs...
well, it's true, they let me connect 5 PCs to the router...
and...no, it's a normal SMC router, not DSL router.
but, does that mean i can't have an IP???
what if i want to act as a FTP server? how can people connect to my comp?
is there anything i can do? or do i have to go to them?

your prob getting confused with the static and dynamic thing, if (DYNAMIC)your iPs are going to renew a lease based on provider policy anywhare from daily to weekly. when your lease renews you will be provided a new IP address that will again change with the next renewal. some dynamic ip address stay the same after renewal
this is all automatically done , you or someone usually configures this dynamic or static connection stuff with TCP config choices during initial setup and ignored everafter)
also ,
some systems stumble during renewal and you must (reboot)reset

this is mostly done to prevent you from serving from your home connection instead of using the more costly STATIC(stays the same) service that has a fixed IP addy(bandwith intensive and costs more to provide so costs more to use. usually comes with support, less cap on the downstreem, whatever is part of the package

you can still serve and do everything under a leased(dynamic) setup, you just have to keep track of your licensing and addy and get the new one out to those that need to access

depending what OS u use if win 2k just run cmd and type ipconfig /all from each machine and you will get the lease and IP info of each machine

if u are running a router off your connection it is taking the one true dynamic or static addy and twowaying everything through that to/from the individual addresses of each connected NIC

hope this makes sense

Last edited:
did they give you a list of 5 IP's in the list of things they gave you. If they did then you have 5 static IP's. Is the router one you bought or did it come with your connection. If it is yours call the router company for support if you got it with your connection then it is the ISP's resposibility to help you set it up. If you got 5 static IP's the way it works is that the internet at large sees and uses your real static IP's but any traffic that hits the router is routed to a private IP on your side of the router that shares the last set of numbers in the IP. example traffic----> 67.x.x.32 router---------> 192.168.0.32

No not everyone can have their own ip address because there is not enough. If you calcualte all the 256.256.256.256 then yea but not all of them are used on the internet, only about 2/3 of em are used on the internet, the rest is for testing and experiments.

maybe ur ISP uses subneting.

peace,
adam

Back