• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing the Right Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Right now? No. I'm currently using my mac that I bought intending to use for school note taking. The poor little thing heats up like a radiator when I try to play anything on it. It has 1440 x 900. Sad I know. Hence why I'm building one!

Thanks for the list! I'm going to be traveling for three weeks starting next monday, so I'm not going to order anything until I get back in case anything goes wrong I don't want to get screwed over with warranties. I'm just reading up on everything to make sure I learn as much as I can before I start the build.

Ah should I go ahead and add a monitor, keyboard, and mouse also?

Sure that would be very helpful. I believe the keyboard and mouse I had are currently back home at my parents place from the time of windows 98. To come to think of it, my parents are probably still using windows 98...

With a monitor!

I personally love my Logitech G710+ mechanical keyboard, if you'll be doing a lot of typing I highly recommend looking at mechanical.

Mouse is a bit more of personal preference, I use a Logitech G700, but shape and button layout preferences vary wildly from person to person.

Obviously you can go cheaper than those two by quite a lot, but why not splurge a little on your interface to the computer?

I enjoyed the Win98 PC my parents had :rofl:

Thanks so much! Everyone has been a great help, and thanks for the list that saved me a lot of headaches! :)

You're welcome! :)
PCPartPicker is AWESOME for helping someone with a build and finding the best prices at the same time!

from what I can tell, the difference is the latency. from what I know (if atminside) is around he'll be able to help more, but the sweet spot for ddr3 is 1866 with a cas latency of 9. from what I hear unless you're benchmarking you'll be hendered by the more heat than you will benefit from the extra speed and timings(I think that you have tighten the timings with 2400 to get it to perform faster with that frequency)

The difference is in the timings (latency).
The gain in performance from the higher speed isn't worth the higher voltage and loss of performance from loosened timings.

If you want to up the speed a bit, grab the G.SKILL Ares 2133 9-11-10-28 2T kit. That's what I'm running in the bench in my sig.
Honestly though, the 1866 kit is the sweet spot for performance/cost/voltage :)

Thanks for clearing that up! :p I think I will stick with the 1866 for now, I'll be graduating soon and when I actually have a full time career with steady income I'll be able to upgrade more ^_^

Thanks for clearing that up! :p I think I will stick with the 1866 for now, I'll be graduating soon and when I actually have a full time career with steady income I'll be able to upgrade more ^_^

Sounds like me!
I just graduated, grabbed a nice full time job, and bought way too many computer parts :rolleyes:

I'll get to that point soon enough! Also, with the video card you selected, is there another you would recommend a little bit cheaper? Or would you recommend sticking with this one? It's a great video card but I'm wondering if it's worth it to get this one with the other parts I have selected, wouldn't it just bottleneck?

The GPU is the sweet spot for top-end 1080p gaming, in my opinion.

You'll be able to max out any game at 1080p with ease, neither the CPU or GPU will bottleneck the system :)

If you HAD too get cheaper I think a 770 is still a nice choice but I agree with atminside that this is def. the Sweetest Spot for 1080p gaming

OK...for my opinion here. On a budget, the 770 should be plenty. Do NOT get Windows 8.1. It really stinks, stay with Win 7 Pro. I was looking at Digital Storm a few days ago. They make custom (wildly over-priced) custom PC's. They consider Windows 8.1 a downgrade from Windows 7.

The new Windows is supposed to be around in another year anyway (name yet TBD). Windows 8 may be good for touch screens, but I used it and hate it. Windows 8 will go down in history with Millennium and Vista. They kina brought back some features. You can start at the desktop now, but the START button doesn't display your programs, at least until August supposedly. I used to use a program called Classic 8. It used to be free, now they charge for it.

OK...for my opinion here. On a budget, the 770 should be plenty. Do NOT get Windows 8.1. It really stinks, stay with Win 7 Pro. I was looking at Digital Storm a few days ago. They make custom (wildly over-priced) custom PC's. They consider Windows 8.1 a downgrade from Windows 7.

The new Windows is supposed to be around in another year anyway (name yet TBD). Windows 8 may be good for touch screens, but I used it and hate it. Windows 8 will go down in history with Millennium and Vista.

Hey, guess what, in 5 months Windows 7 stops getting anything besides security updates.

You won't get DX12 on Windows 7 which, for a gaming machine, is a high priority.

Hey, guess what, in 5 months Windows 7 stops getting anything besides security updates.

You won't get DX12 on Windows 7 which, for a gaming machine, is a high priority.

this, I'm trying to hold out for win 9 to decide what I want, but I'll probably have to pick up a win 8.1 key

BS on the Windows 7 upgrades. Over 50% of Windows PC's are running Win7. Microsoft knows what a mistake Win8 was. I can guarantee Nvidia et all will support DX12 in Win7.

You're going to continue, as of right now, to get Win7 upgrades until at least January 2015 and security updates until 2020. I bet they extend it. My company just left XP (at the end of XP's update period) for Win7 as our standard OS, and we are paying MS for extended XP support. How many major companies are really running Win8? My company is in the top Fortune 15 and I still have to flipping use Explorer 8.

You can't call it Win9, because no one knows for sure what MS will call it.

Back