• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running DVI/HMDI adapter from PC to HDMI TV, no sound!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phishi

Okay, I have been struggling with this one for days now, and Google has not been kind to me.

First, the rundown:

I have a 40" LCD Dynex TV

My video card is a nVidia GeForce GTS 250

I am aware that HDMI cables carry sound and video, whereas DVI just carry video. Because of this, I have bought a 3.5mm cable to go from my PC out line to my TV's in. Here are some pictures:

Here you can see my 3.5mm cable going from the line out port, also my PCI/HDMI adapter and cable are seen.

Here you can see my two HDMI cables going into the TV (one is for Xbox), and right above those is the other end of the 3.5mm audio cable going into the PC in port.

These are my options when I open my playback devices, I don't see TV.

Speaking of which, my actual TV audio options are thus:

There is a category that says Digital Audio/SPDIF, with my options being Off, RAW, or PCM. I tried them all. There are no other relevant options on my TV.

I have tried restarting, I have tried every audio port on my PC (like left, rear, etc).

Where did I go wrong guys?

only thing i can figure is that the TV only uses the 3.5mm port for the VGA port. I've had similar issues with TVs before. they can be a real pita. If you can put the TV on PC input and see if the audio works that would help trouble shoot that (though it seems like most tvs don't like to switch to connections they view as turned off).
Or perhaps find a cable like this: http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1408 Note, i have not used this cable or cablemart, i just found a cable that did this on google.

Did your video card come with a little 2 conductor wire? You should be able to hook up sound from your onboard spdif to the video card for sound pass through, and sound will go through the DVI to the HDMI adapter.

Did you go into the control pane (in hardware and sound)l and set the tv (or av reciever)as the default device?

Once you do that you should be good to go :thup:

Im not sure how old the 250 is, but it should pass even 7.1 thru the dvi adapter..

But I could be mistakein :beer:

only thing i can figure is that the TV only uses the 3.5mm port for the VGA port. I've had similar issues with TVs before. they can be a real pita. If you can put the TV on PC input and see if the audio works that would help trouble shoot that (though it seems like most tvs don't like to switch to connections they view as turned off).
Or perhaps find a cable like this: http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1408 Note, i have not used this cable or cablemart, i just found a cable that did this on google.

My TV doesn't have a PC input, at least not one that is labeled PC. I have the following: TV, AV, Component, VGA, HDMI 1, HDMI 2.

Also, do you think a 3.5mm-to-RCA would work? (RCA is the red and white prongs, right?)

Did your video card come with a little 2 conductor wire? You should be able to hook up sound from your onboard spdif to the video card for sound pass through, and sound will go through the DVI to the HDMI adapter.

Unfortunately I got this card a few years back and have moved since, if it did come with said connector I no longer have it. Do you know what it's called? Maybe I can buy one online.

Did you go into the control pane (in hardware and sound)l and set the tv (or av reciever)as the default device?

Once you do that you should be good to go :thup:

Im not sure how old the 250 is, but it should pass even 7.1 thru the dvi adapter..

But I could be mistakein :beer:

Yeah in my third picture of the original post is my sound options--TV isn't an option.

Thank you all for your help on this thus far! :)

I thought newer GPUs can do sound over dvi, with a proper dvi cable. You would need a dvi to HDMI cable, and this is probably the easiest way to do sound on your setup. I think some dvi to HDMI adapters won't pass audio thru to an hdmi-hdmi cable.

I am also not sure exactly when audio over dvi out started being a possibility, so I would check if your card indeed supports it or not.

I am guessing you TV options will give you grief or make what you are currently trying to do not work.

I thought newer GPUs can do sound over dvi, with a proper dvi cable. You would need a dvi to HDMI cable, and this is probably the easiest way to do sound on your setup. I think some dvi to HDMI adapters won't pass audio thru to an hdmi-hdmi cable.

I am also not sure exactly when audio over dvi out started being a possibility, so I would check if your card indeed supports it or not.

I am guessing you TV options will give you grief or make what you are currently trying to do not work.

Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/DVI-HDMI-Cable-6ft-Male-Male/dp/B0002CZHN6

In your second pic if you look you'll see it shows a box marked PC in that box it's also marked as VGA & PC/DVI AUDIO IN. So your TV will accept a VGA input from your computer. Which if your vid card doesn't have a VGA output you'll neede a DVI to VGA adpater like this... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=307812&is=REG&A=details&Q=

Would VGA make my displayed image crappier compared to my DVI-to-HDMI? I like playing games and watching HD movies, would a VGA cable diminish the quality?

Would VGA make my displayed image crappier compared to my DVI-to-HDMI? I like playing games and watching HD movies, would a VGA cable diminish the quality?

I coukdnt tell the difference with 1080p content between HDMI and VGA. May depend on your tastes. You should get better color with HDMI.

Get the 3.5 stereo to rca adapter IF your HDMI1 port has the left/right (red/white) input associated with the HDMI1 port. Its usually #1 that has it. It may say audio from DVI near it.

If not you'll have to use the vga input.

Does your card have the two pin spdif spot? and does your motherboard have it? If so, PM me your address if you live in the US. I should have a bunch. It took me forever to figure out this is what I needed to get the audio through the HDMI on my GTX 285.

its not a matter of the cables supporting it.

HDMI interleaves the audio and video signal over the same wires... if your getting a picture you have the POTENTIAL for passing audio.

What you need is a gfx card that supports spdif over DVI and like stated there are two variants... one in which the spdif sound device is built into the card (nvidia 400 series and above) or in the case of the 250 + a spdif cable that connected to your sound card to modulate the spdif audio into the signal.

Your easiest solution, get a new card with HDMI out and call it good.

its not a matter of the cables supporting it.

HDMI interleaves the audio and video signal over the same wires... if your getting a picture you have the POTENTIAL for passing audio.

What you need is a gfx card that supports spdif over DVI and like stated there are two variants... one in which the spdif sound device is built into the card (nvidia 400 series and above) or in the case of the 250 + a spdif cable that connected to your sound card to modulate the spdif audio into the signal.

Your easiest solution, get a new card with HDMI out and call it good.

This.

TV's, generally, don't have audio inputs associated with an HDMI port. Meaning, when the TV says "Hey, heres the picture from port X." they don't have the ability to look elsewhere for audio, because the TV will assume the audio comes from the HDMI as well. That audio jack you're using is associatedwith the VGA port.. So if you used that for your video, it'd be fine.

I'm a believer that VGA and DVI aren't -that- different.. There's generally better colors and a faster response out of the digital stuff, but eh. It's all personal preference when it comes to video.

A video card with an HDMI would be ideal, seeing as they all have audio overHDMI drivers these days.

Good luck!

Back