• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To floppy or not to floppy....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have floppy drives in all my computers and use them fairly regularly. BIOS flashes, low-level utilities such as disk-wiping and Ghosting, Memtest86 etc.

It's funny to see the all posts from the poeple who claim that the floppy is obsolete and they'll never use one but "can you plese help me make a bootable CDr for (fill in the blank) because I can't figure out how to make it work". They end up spending all kinds of time and energy to do something that could have been done it one or two minutes with an "obsolete" FDD.

i use floppies in all of my computers. i have everybody in my family save their documents to floppies just to be safe and for good backup type purposes. plus i use them to install operating systems that need to be booted into dos first or need startup disks...

only use floppies for transfering work and files from shcool and back. Last time i used a floopy for computer purposes was when i coudlnt install XP with the cd... had to create 7 diskettes to make windows XP boot.....

raven

I use compact flash. Dont know why that just doesnt become the standard for small file moving....

Until I get a USB key, I'll continue using my floppy drive for small file xfers. I also use it when installing drivers and to create a rescue disk when I install linux. Things like hard drive utilities and memtest86 are also convenient to use from a floppy.

Ken

I still have floppies in all of my desktop machines. I own a floppy for the laptops but seldom or never swap it in. My daughter recently installed a 5.25" floppy drive in her T-Bird 1400 for a kind of retro look. Pretty funny looking, actually.
Dave

Even though I seldom use it, You never can tell when someone is going to hand you one...Kinda of silly to not be able to read a media on your XXX double throw down computer that cost a whopping 10.00 to 15.00 duckies depending on the color...I put one in everything I build...And a Apcer 6into1 card reader...For 24.00 bones plus the 10 to 15 duckies for both of them I feel they are worth the money just because of the "versitility" they add to the system for cheap...:)

I am still a strong user and believer of *SNEAKER NET*!
Every pc I make gets one just for sneaker net purposes!

Floppies will never die, they just fade away!

I have a floppy in mine but only because some drivers maybe on floppy and if I run out of CDR's I probably have a floppy laying around. I probably only use mine once a year though. Get one, their cheap.

Thank You,
Daniel

Back