• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forget Conroe, get your self Kentsfield !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UglyChild

4cores in 1,Conroe E6600 8Mb Cache, aka Kentsfield. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sources say, it will be out right after X-Mas this year.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103982&page=4

4.JPG

ya i have seen thoes... pretty amazing but i think a dual core will be just right... pluss its more heat.. but can you imagine an SMP setup with 2 of thoes... 8 cores!!!!! 2 dies ofmg wow.

No, Kentsfield is sick, definitely better than Conroe, but of course 2 Conroes are better than one, hehe. Of course, if you saw what those Kentsfield ES's were selling for, you wouldn't be as excited about them ;)

Conroe wills still rule 3DMarks for a while - 4Cores are lot harder to OC and only 3Dmark06 can take slight advantage of the extra 2 cores. Conores will be much easier to get above 4GHZ...

Surprised noone ever wondered why the seller hadn't posted any 3D results in the beginning...

i think the conroe and kentsfield are also aimed at different groups.

ie conroe for gamers and oc'rs

kentsfield for servers, smp, encoders.

And the price of Kent will be a major deterrent for a long time after its release, so think of it as xmas release + 3 - 6 months for a price drop.

Results will vary with retail. Remember these ES are center waffer, cherry picked. Don't expect the same results in retail chain, PERIOD. I am beginning to see this pattern with C2D already with the retail X6800 (post 17).
Meaning there is a high probablity that 1 out of the 4 cores will be a poor OC which will screw the entire process to OC.
Meaning there is a high probability that 1 out of the 4 cores will be poor period.
Meaning there is a high probability that 1 out of the 4 cores will do better then the rest.
Get the picture?

Wait for some folks to buy the retail version 1st to see how these cores stack up then make a decision to buy or not. When you are dealing with 4 cores they have to all pair up similar to how you match twin pack of ram. There is no evidence that Intel is actually doing that at the moment. And, that's a bit of a concern...specially after reading that post regarding the retail X6800 from 1 user already. Sure you can say it's only 1 user but it only took 1 ES X6800 to shine...this is a 2 edge sword here.

So where am I going with this? No one wants to spend $1000 on a cpu that can be matched by a $400 CPU in performance.

Last edited:
ECH said:
Results will vary with retail. Remember these ES are center waffer, cherry picked. Don't expect the same results in retail chain, PERIOD. I am beginning to see this pattern with C2D already with the retail X6800 (post 17).
Meaning there is a high probablity that 1 out of the 4 cores will be a poor OC which will screw the entire process to OC.
Meaning there is a high probability that 1 out of the 4 cores will be poor period.
Meaning there is a high probability that 1 out of the 4 cores will do better then the rest.
Get the picture?

Wait for some folks to buy the retail version 1st to see how these cores stack up then make a decision to buy or not. When you are dealing with 4 cores they have to all pair up similar to how you match twin pack of ram. There is no evidence that Intel is actually doing that at the moment. And, that's a bit of a concern...specially after reading that post regarding the retail X6800 from 1 user already. Sure you can say it's only 1 user but it only took 1 ES X6800 to shine...this is a 2 edge sword here.

So where am I going with this? No one wants to spend $1000 on a cpu that can be matched by a $400 CPU in performance.

My thoughts exactly. Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese type of deal.

ECH.. Check Andres screenshots, wasn't he running ~1.6Vcore on his E6600 stepping 5 and if you look closely, it appears he's running 1.2Vcore on the B2 retail X6800 :shrug:

greenmaji said:
ECH.. Check Andres screenshots, wasn't he running ~1.6Vcore on his E6600 stepping 5 and if you look closely, it appears he's running 1.2Vcore on the B2 retail X6800 :shrug:

He actually is running 1.6 according to AIbooster - but remember Andre has a very special interest in Step 5 to sell better...

mikeguava said:
He actually is running 1.6 according to AIbooster - but remember Andre has a very special interest in Step 5 to sell better...

Holy crap your right :mad: :mad: :mad:

WTF kentsfield sucks, in 5 years they will have the omegaublardooblar out that will pwn! They are teh hitz 6.2Thz on AIR!

ok **** omegaublardooblar they have the new toobiwammojeezewtf core coming out from AMD in about 90 years, trust me this will be SICK just wait guys, its right around teh corner i mean these babies are able to run a simulation of up to 10^1790 particles at one time! They have 24 cores running at 19000Thz!

Now seriously, calm THE #@$@ DOWN there's always something around the corner stop wetting your panties!!

mikeguava said:
. Conores will be much easier to get above 4GHZ...
Not when EACH SEPERATE core can run at whetever speed that you set it to and volts can be adjusted for each individual core.
Im going to hold out for another year and see what AMD and Intel bring out onto the market. Most of the applications/games out right now still benefit from using a single core instead of a dual core.

Back