• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc'd, rebooted and windows has changed why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hermitbry

( system details are in signature ) since it is now winter and cooler in connecticut (and i have a crappy stock cpu cooler) i thought i would try a little overclocking. i changed the fsb thing to 140/35 and the multiplier to 9.5 and am at 1330 mhz (idle temp 25c). at the same time i changed my ram settings to turbo and cas 2. the problem, when i restarted it booted and started fine but windows has changed. some of my apps that start at startup didn't start. when i opened internet explorer i had to use the new connection wizzard. all of my email addresses have disappeared from outlook express, and all of my internet " favorites" are gone from ie but they are still in my documents and settings folder. not the end of the world but a real pain if this happens again. any ideas why this happened. thanks

Sometimes, when overclocked a little too much, windows does not fully load all of the apps it is supposed to. Normally, for me anyway, this leads to an error pretty quickly, and I have to back off. I think it has something to do with getting the data off of the hard drive properly...

i solved my own mystery. i have set win2k to start with out needing a password so i never see a logon box. somehow during the reboot after the oc the computer didn't start with me ( and my settings ) as the user, it started with the " generic " administrator settings.

Back