• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED R7 260X Black Screens Possible Fix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

While looking for an answer to another problem I stumbled across this
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2089881/sapphire-260x-black-screen.html

The last two pages seem to have found the problem , and some fixes. Thought it might be of interest to the folks with this problem. It's been driving me bat$ht crazy for a while now. I hope it's a universal fix.
The problem seems to originate with the power saving drivers. The memory clock jumping up to full speed on demand , but the voltage is lagging. I disabled ULPS , and I'll read the new info a couple dozen times and see if I can get a better understanding of all the options presented. I'll post updates , good or bad. If anyone else tries any of the fixes mentioned , please let us know how it works-or doesn't work. This seems to be a widespread issue and a lot of people will benefit from a verifiable solution.

:facepalm:

That's me-a day late and a dollar short. I was looking for something else when I ran across that and rushed right over here . Guess I should have checked the progress here first. Now I'll look for the info I should have looked for in the first place.
I should have known a solution would be found here before I stumbled over it on the interwebz.

Its buried in threads here and there, this is a good thread just for the information though! :)

Glad to be of some help. I'm poking around the forum now and can't put much together. Having it all in one spot may help us slow children..........
I've gotten so much from OC I'll feel like a mooch if I can't contribute something once in a while!

Well , the (maybe) solutions to these issues may be known , but since I can't implement any of them I'm still stuck with them. I managed to turn off ULPS with Afterburner , but I can't touch the voltage at all. And no luck on changing the RAM 'idle speed'. It drops to 300 MHz and practically lives there. Afterburner claims it can give me access to the voltage , but it never happens. CCC and AMD OverDrive don't have that option either , at least not for the RAM on the card. All I can think of now is ask AMD wtf. If they don't have an easy , concise fix for me I'll gather up my three 'R' cards and take them back to BB. Maybe I can get a decent GTX that doesn't trip over its own willy on a regular basis. This is really frustrating.

UPDATE

So far it's been about 12 hours with no issues. I dropped my memory clock down to 1500 MHz from 1600 MHz. If I have further problems I'll go down in 50 MHz increments and see what happens. Kind of peeved that I may have to run the card underclocked , but nothing for sure yet. If I get my problems solved I'll post what fixed it for me , but I'm on the tail end of the learning curve on this. The Smilies will probably figure it out before I do. :shrug:

I'm declaring my problems "fixed" (sorta). Lowering the memory clock to 1500 MHz seems to have done the trick. I haven't had any instances of flickering , black screen , unexpected reboots , etc. since doing so three days ago. It was happening every few hours for a while , so three days with zero issues is enough for me to put it in the win column. I'll let XFX and AMD know I'm not real happy with having to underclock my card to get it to work right , but I don't see a new card being any help considering the sheer quantity of cards with this/similar problems. It helps that I only paid $90 for it , so the performance to price ratio is still pretty good.

Back