• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you connect 2 routers to extend hardwired network across a room?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KnownKiller

I'm trying to get rid of the wireless network i'm runing across the room to a wireless router thats stuck on one side of the room where the cable connect is. I have 4 computers on the other side that are all wireless cause i dont want to run CAT5 across the floor. If i had a cable connect on the other side i would'nt have a prob.. also if i didn not live in a condo i would'nt have a prob either.. heh.

So i'm just wondering if i could use a switch or another router on the side of the room with all the computers and run 1 line under the carpet to the wireless router that way everything is hardwired and shares the internet. I'd love to have max speed and get rid of the wireless.

Short answer is yes. You'll need a cross-over cable though (one end is T568A and the other end is T568B). Here's a link with instructions on making one if you have the materials: Cross-over Cable

A cross-over cable is needed when connecting two devices of the same typ.e IE: Router -> Router or PC -> PC

Which router(s) do you have?

A switch will work, and you should get one instead of another router, but if you already have another router, then you can use it just as a switch. You can do this by disabling its DHCP, PnP and using only its LAN ports, not its WAN port.

Most modern routers and switches, esp. gigabit switches will support auto-crossover, so you don't need to get a crossover cable to try this out. If you have dated equipment and can't get a link, then it's worth trying.

Thanks for the quick replies guys1 I have a Linksys WRT54G Ver 2 router.

I've heard the newer versions of these routers suck.. Cant remember why though.. so if i were to go with another router i'm sure it would be best to match them..

I'd like to go with a switch since its cheaper and all thats prob nessisary.. Any features it should have or it dont matter? Good brand i should buy?

So if i could get a switch, how do i connect it to the router? Obviously i'll have to have static IPs on the computers i believe.

EDIT: 1 more quick question.. If i use a switch will i'll still beable to transfer files between the computers? Sorry its been atleast 10 years since i've used a switch hehe.

Last edited:
I'd like to go with a switch since its cheaper and all thats prob nessisary.. Any features it should have or it dont matter? Good brand i should buy?

So if i could get a switch, how do i connect it to the router? Obviously i'll have to have static IPs on the computers i believe.

A standard cable should be fine for connecting the router and a switch. Any LAN port to any LAN port. But now that you mention this -- unless you have computers on both ends, you could also just use a long cable between the modem and the router, and move the router to the other end of your room.

For a new switch, I suggest the D-Link DGS-2208. Note that you lose one port connecting to the router. It's cheap, fast, and gives you room for expansion down the road. I wouldn't buy a 10/100 switch these days, but that's me. You could save a few dollars with a 10/100 switch if local file transfer performance isn't important to you now and down the road.

You don't have to use static IPs, because the switch will be linked to the router, and all the devices will get their IPs off the router -- through the switch when necessary.

A standard cable should be fine for connecting the router and a switch. Any LAN port to any LAN port. But now that you mention this -- unless you have computers on both ends, you could also just use a long cable between the modem and the router, and move the router to the other end of your room.

For a new switch, I suggest the D-Link DGS-2208. Note that you lose one port connecting to the router. It's cheap, fast, and gives you room for expansion down the road. I wouldn't buy a 10/100 switch these days, but that's me. You could save a few dollars with a 10/100 switch if local file transfer performance isn't important to you now and down the road.

You don't have to use static IPs, because the switch will be linked to the router, and all the devices will get their IPs off the router -- through the switch when necessary.

Opps forgot to mention the part that i have multipal game consoles on the other side of the room with the router that i'd like to keep wired to.

I actually thought about doing what you mentioned with moving the router to the other side and have a wire going across the room under the carpet to the modem.. but then remembered the consoles hehe. Thats what i planed on doing today when i got up.

Yes again right with you.. i'd like to snag up a 1000Gbit switch.. 8 port would be great but might have to settle with the 5 port..

So i'd loose 1 of the lan ports connecting it to the router eh? Damn,, i was hoping i was supposed to use the Uplink port on the switch for that.. I guess thats just to connect the switch to another switch.

Hey thanks for the info.. Now to head out for a switch! hehe cant wait!

An uplink port on a switch is basically just a crossover cable in a port so that you do not have to use a special cable. On most switches you can not use the normal port that is next to the uplink port if you are using the uplink.

I connected both my wireless routers together with DD-WRT without a cable.

Just used to WiFi for the connecting and the ports for wires.

I connected both my wireless routers together with DD-WRT without a cable.

Just used to WiFi for the connecting and the ports for wires.

That's cool. I've been running a wireless bridge for over a year now to a distant room with print servers, etc., and that's been cool, but I think someday I'll get rid of that and run a cable and have gigabit goodness everywhere.

The OP's in a single room, where running a single cable is OK for him, and he'd like to get rid of the wireless to improve performance.

Back