• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused about cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tannor

Registered
I need some help with picking out a cooler, I keep going back and forth and realized probably made a few mistakes in terms of memory clearance. I ordered everything except for the CPU when it comes out next week:

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
i5-3570k (when it gets released)
Gskill 16 GB (4x4) Ripajaws DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
2 - Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint Drive HD103SJ
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
Asus 25 inch Monitor

I am trying to figure out what cooler to order, I think I wont have enough space for any of the 120 mm coolers like Corsair A50 or 212.

I am thinking of either Coolermaster Tx3 or True Spirit 120, but not sure if they will reallly clear. TS 120 looks to be much better quality but it might be close? I know the Gskill needs 41mm clearance, but not sure how much TS 120 needs.

I don't plan on doing any major OC, just maybe to 4 Ghz or so

If you have any suggestions

Thanks

You could go with the Hyper 212 but set up the fan to pull through the fins instead of push, that way it's on the opposite side away from the RAM, unless you were planning on doing a push-pull, which shouldn't really be necessary anyway with only a mild overclock.

I did not think of that, do you lose cooling by going pull?

Also can I do that with the True 120? as well reverse fans? I am thinking if that case I might go with that one and if it dont clear on Ram side do it in pull then

All his other gear seems to be high end/premium kit. Perhaps a Noctua NH-D14 would be a better choice for some overclocking fun. ;)

You'll have to install the RAM before the heatsink, though it'll fit.

I did not think of that, do you lose cooling by going pull?

Also can I do that with the True 120? as well reverse fans? I am thinking if that case I might go with that one and if it dont clear on Ram side do it in pull then

It's pretty much the same, within margin of error, and from what I've seen it usually favors pull anyway.

All his other gear seems to be high end/premium kit. Perhaps a Noctua NH-D14 would be a better choice for some overclocking fun. ;)

You'll have to install the RAM before the heatsink, though it'll fit.

Interesting I looked at that briefly a day ago and was thinking no way that would fit, but maybe you are right.

I will have to think about it thanks for the suggestion!

It's pretty much the same, within margin of error, and from what I've seen it usually favors pull anyway.

Ok then I think I would rather go the TS-120 , based on reviews it looks to be a better cooler with a better mounting system I think, unless I go with that NH-D14

Yeah, I'm Running G.Skill RipJawZ series RAM, I believe the RipJawsX is the same height.

Yeah, I don't think you will have ram clearance issues with the TS120. It's not a thick heatsink and I didn't have clearance issue at all with it, even with my AM2 test board which has the ram pretty close to the socket area.

EDIT: I see you are planning to go IB with this build. I also plan to go with a 3770k next week or whenever they are available myself, but I have heard referenced around that they run hotter than SB does and are harder to cool. So you might want to hold off on your buying decision until we see cooling results with retail IB when overclocked before you plunk down money on a cooler. According to a review that mjw21a linked at Tweaktown, they run hot compared to SB. With it overclocked to 4.72, it was hitting 98C, but I didn't see what they were cooling it with. My 3770k is going under a loop when I get it.

Last edited:
When you say under a loop you mean water?

I am not sure if I plan to overclock it hard, if I get it to 4 - 4.2 I will be happy.

I just know my biggest concerns is that stock cooler from what I understand is horrible even if running stock speeds, so wanted to add something that will keep it cool and give me some headroom to OC.

So I am trying to decide between TS120 and NH-D14, both look really good and I am sure NH-D14 is a lot better but more expensive. I have to weigh it in. Thanks everyone for the help!

According to a review that mjw21a linked at Tweaktown, they run hot compared to SB. With it overclocked to 4.72, it was hitting 98C, but I didn't see what they were cooling it with. My 3770k is going under a loop when I get it.

There's been confirmation of the heat issue and higher than expected voltages from another site too. The chips are marked as having 95w tdp. I'll see if I can track the link down for you

Last edited:
So I was looking at pictures of the NH-D14 installed

noctuacool30.jpg

That thing is huge!

Does it block you from taking out your video card in case you ever need to remove it say for an RMA? I know on my current system I have to put my finger in and hit a lever to remove it from a slot.

So I was looking at pictures of the NH-D14 installed

That thing is huge!

Does it block you from taking out your video card in case you ever need to remove it say for an RMA? I know on my current system I have to put my finger in and hit a lever to remove it from a slot.

No, you should be able to remove your video card without taking NH-D14 off.

Corsair H80?

I personally had it, loved it.
just upgraded to H100 there after.

I will be honest after looking at pics of TS-120 and NH-D14, I am leaning towards the TS-120, I just like that smaller footprint, I think that NH might be overkill for me.

I will wait though to see what reviews say, but I need to upgrade asap..I have this gtx 680 card sitting in my machine and being held back by my E8400..LOL

I am having the issue of finding a solid stop gap solution for my new 2600k setup.

I plan to go WC but since I can't use a damn thing on my current loop I have to wait to gather up the parts. And I will not use the stock HS.....

I'm going to pair the chip on the Asrock z77 pro4 w/ ripjaws.

I just need something that will keep my system cool with a normal overclock until then.
Still researching the pro/cons of everything.

Personally, I would wait till more reviews come in. No harm in it. It's not like you don't have a system to use in the meantime. Then if nothing else changes with high temps,

I say go with the 120 if you are not going for a crazy overclock, if you think you might, the NH-D14, H-100 all best choices...But Mudd is the one to check with. He knows all...

NH-D14 is fine, you can access everything except your memory and 8 pin mainboard power cable once installed in a mid tower case. The mounting system is the best I've EVER come across. I highly recommend this cooler.

After my Corsair H100 cooler I find it hard to recommend any closed loop liquid coolers, especially since the H100 is the only one will beat the performance of high end air coolers.

Wedge, if you are looking for a fill-in until you watercool with your 2600k, definitely look at the TS120. They will cost around $42-43 shipped from Amazon and are complete with fan and the new revision for all systems is at least as efficient as the original TS sold under the Cogage name. I haven't written up the review yet, but I have tested the TS120. They did change the fan it comes with and the new fan isn't as high a cfm model fan, so out-of-the-box cooling performance is slightly worse than the original TS, strictly due to the fan. When I subbed in the original TS fan on the TS120, it actually cooled a little better than the original model. As a matter of fact, of the 5 fans I tested with that are common to both the TS and TS120 in the reviews, the TS120 cooled better than the original except with my Beast Denki compound fan.

^^^ I love that fan. Sanyo Denki's are awesome!

EDIT: Ok doc, I did a quick google and found this article which appears to be the same details and images I looked at yesterday, seems to be a different site though..... Confirms 95W tdp

Last edited:
Back