• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Unofficial Official Ballistix Results Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, the IC's are not identical in EB and Ballistix. The EB's use the Micron 5B Revision C chips, while the Ballistix chips use Micron Revision G chips (see pic above in #7).

So far, my modules seem to be running exactly like EB chips. I am able to run slightly tighter timings at 250FSB, though, than if it were EB. Otherwise, however, all of my benchmark scores seem to be right on with EB.

I'm not sure if I fully answered your question... I'm sure there are some folks here that could give you more info.

Odie :)

But OCZ uses some kind of tricks to get this higher bandwith, at last it seems so to me. (I mean the sticks get better results)
And the only question then is if the Ballistix actually have these tricks as well- and you said the results are very similar, right?

Well, that sounds just amazing.
How about more voltage to the modules? The new micron- ICs semm to love it nearly as much as the good old winbond do ;)

Hrr, I think I'm gonna pick a gig

K4mui said:
But OCZ uses some kind of tricks to get this higher bandwith, at last it seems so to me. (I mean the sticks get better results)
And the only question then is if the Ballistix actually have these tricks as well- and you said the results are very similar, right?

Well, that sounds just amazing.
How about more voltage to the modules? The new micron- ICs semm to love it nearly as much as the good old winbond do ;)

Hrr, I think I'm gonna pick a gig

Micron Completely redid the mT chips to do CL2 for balistix. The 5B-C chips in OCZ respond well to 3,2,2. Not all chips are the same so performance to timings vary chip to chip.

Odie812 said:
Well, the IC's are not identical in EB and Ballistix. The EB's use the Micron 5B Revision C chips, while the Ballistix chips use Micron Revision G chips (see pic above in #7).

So far, my modules seem to be running exactly like EB chips. I am able to run slightly tighter timings at 250FSB, though, than if it were EB. Otherwise, however, all of my benchmark scores seem to be right on with EB.

I'm not sure if I fully answered your question... I'm sure there are some folks here that could give you more info.

Odie :)

pretty impressive.. congrats

What about the price? These aren't as expensive as EB are they? Woulb be interesting to see what they could do w/ some nice vdimm too.

Shade00 said:
Aren't the SPD timings for the PC4000 2.5-4-4-8? If so, I'm going to be buying some of this if you really can tighten them up that much. That's absolutely fantastic.

With everything on AUTO, my PC posted at 2.5-3-3-8. Yes, this is PC4000!

Oh, and regarding price, I spent about $290 with shipping.

Let me just put word in for Crucial by saying that their business ans shipping was flawless and with a 30 day money back guarantee on a great product, it is hard to turn Ballistix down.

[/rant]

Well, I just got info I already knew- I can look at a chip and see the revision ;)

I actually wanted to know if the Ballistix do get the same results as EBs do.
I mean, EB get better results than any other RAM, and I wondered if Ballistix (or mT-5BG) do so as well.

Ok, if every chip reacts different to timings, we have a problem because we cannot say anymore which timings are best.

So what is it, are the results equal to EBs?

And another question, does Micron or Crucail have any resellers?

Just built my new PC with Epox 8KDA3J motherboard, AMD 64 3000+ processor and 2 x 512MB Ballistix PC4000
No problems at all - auto detected timing 2-3-3-8 - which did surprise me.
Over clocking comes later after I have got everything else installed and a ghost image saved of my boot disc to avoid having to install everything again if I have problems
Slight problem - ran memtest with no errors - but then ran Prime 95 at priority 10. Everything got a bit too hot. So I just ordered two new case fans as the system temperature reached 41 deg celsius which checked out with the exhaust temperature of the air and the cpu temperature reached 56 deg. I had thought that one 120 mm fan would have been OK.

Last edited:
Oldjim said:
Just built my new PC with Epox 8KDA3J motherboard, AMD 64 3000+ processor and 2 x 512MB Ballistix PC4000
No problems at all - auto detected timing 2-3-3-8 - which did surprise me.
Over clocking comes later after I have got everything else installed and a ghost image saved of my boot disc to avoid having to install everything again if I have problems

That is good to hear. let us know how they do for you.

I was wondering if I should sell my PC3700 OCZ EB's and get me some of these PC4000's... what you giys think?

I haven't seen enough results from these Ballistix sticks yet to say whether or not selling your EB would be warranted. 3700EB is the cream of the crop, and if you can give it 2.9v+ you can hit above 250 at tighter timings than I've seen the Ballistix give. However, I haven't really seen anyone push much voltage through those sticks, so who knows.

Update on Overclocking

Only running one stick of ram as other has been RMA'd - no shiny clips holding the heat sinks on.
Results so far using Clockgen - all voltages at stock, memory 1:1 , 4 x HTT
Timings 2-3-3-8 1T limit 210 MHz
Timings 2.5-3-3-8 1T limit 235 MHz
Tried 3-3-3-8 then reducing memory speed and HTT but no improvement. Error message refers to cache so I assume this is my processor limit.
Will not set these values in bios until other memory stick returns and I can test with 2 sticks.
Aquamark score increased from 42,840 (1012 MB at stock) to 44,893 (512 MB)
Probably need to add a third cooling fan as CPU temperatures are reaching 57 deg with side on but dropping to 52 deg with it off.
Still quite happy up to now.

Unstable, but my best boot with the PC4000 Ballistix:

attachment.php

crucify, that is still nice- what voltage?
Oldjim, don't take it the wrong way, but I would send this stuff back- not only one module... This is not really good imo...

btw, wish me luck, I might get 2x512MB TwinMOS. (oh, right, that was missing: BH-5 :D :attn: )

I also had some faulty sticks. Got the new ones in the mail. My OC is all coming together after weeks of painful breakage and screw ups.

Back