• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non-oc 1800+ running VERY hot. Is this normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treue

My non-overclocked Athlon 1800+ usually runs at 65 C, and sometimes as high as 75 C when I don't run the a/c in the house. I use a Volcano 6 fan because it's a bit quieter than the 7. I have a fair amount of thermal grease on the heatsink. I have three fans blowing into the case, and one blowing exhaust straight out the top of the case. The thing as a whole already makes a ton of noise. I don't see why I'm not able to keep the temperature down. 75 C can't be a good thing. Does anyone have this problem? From the looks of some other threads, most of you seem to have much lower temps than I have. Any advice would be extremely helpful at this point. Thanks.

65C is way above average, and definately not healthy for a computer. You need to re-seat your heatsink and reapply the thermal paste. there should only be a paper thin layer of thermal paste between the CPU and the Heatsink. Also, make sure that the heatsink is seated properly, not cocked off to one side.

yep... he said it.
take off your heatsink... whipe the old one off with some rubbing alcohol and reapply a paper-thin layer of AS3.

note: i hope this doesnt insult ur intelligence, but make sure that if the HSF came with a thermal pad, that u take that off first and then put the AS3 on it

It's seated properly. I'll try less grease. Maybe that contributes to the problem... Thanks.

Yeah, I removed the thermal pad first. I wish I had overlooked something as simple as that, because I'm baffled.

3 fans blowing in and 1 blowing out is not the ideal situation but I don't see any other way that you could have temps that high aside from your heatsink not making good contact with your cpu.

What program are you using to monitor your temps? Don`t always believe them (Asus probe for exaple). Download MotherboardMonitor 5 and recheck the temps then. How hot does it get in Chicago this time of year? :mad:

I'm using the Asus Probe program that came with the board. This program is known to show inaccurate temps? Interesting. I will try MotherboardMonitor 5 and see what happens. Thanks a lot. It's been a bit on the warm side for this time of year in Chicago, around the 85F mark the past few days.

but make sure that if the HSF came with a thermal pad, that u take that off first and then put the AS3 on it

Sorry if I'm being thick

this "thermal pad" is the plasticy square thing in the middle of the heatsink, normally covered by a pice of clear plastic when new?

Removing that will be better?

Yes I do believe the Asus Probe program is notorious for saying temps are up to 10 degrees higher than what they acually are. Get MBM 5 it is great I use it on all my computers.

The ASUS probe reads the same as MBM5 on an ASUS. I have had three of them. The problem is the circuitry on ASUS board is designed to read high. The bios temps are the same.

I you still have the thermal pad on the HSF, then remove it and clean it very carefully with alcohol. Then reapply the thermal grease. If you can afford it and can easily get it, get some ASIII thermal grease. It is the best.

I just ditched the old Thermaltake "goldern orb" fan and went back to the Volcano 6. I cleaned the copper base and reapplied a bit of grease, but I was only able to bring the temp down to 58c idle, 64c load. I'm beginning to become quite puzzled. I think I will pick up a Volcano 9 and see if it makes any difference. As for MBM5, it reads the same as the Asus Probe in my case also. Thanks everyone.

Back