• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2005fpw or 2007fpw

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

musawi

I'm looking into buying a new monitor and I've set my sights on the 2005fpw, but there seems to be a new 20 inch monitor released from Dell. What are the differences?

Help much appreciated.
Thanks

From what I know, the new 20 inch 2007FPW , has 800:1 contrast, and is HDCP compliant over DVI. It also has a 89/89 degree viewing angle. Its desktop footprint is seven inches.

The 2005FPW's contrast is 600:1, is not HDCP compliant, and the viewing angle is 88 / 88 degrees. Its desktop footprint is nine inches.

The 2007FPW also has some kind of new screen coating to reduce glare better than the 2005FPW did.

I myself am holding out for a 2007FPW to go on sale once all the 2005FPWs are gone.

lordkosc said:
I myself am holding out for a 2007FPW to go on sale once all the 2005FPWs are gone.

me as well...i figured while i wait around for dx10 graphics and whatever new hardware innovations (not am2....not going to be doing that) id buy a new monitor...but $530 is a little pricey for a 20 inch monitor...anybody know if the 2405's price is going to drop at all because id love to have a big high quality monitor to make my radeon 9250 explode....

I believe the 2007FPW is a 6 bit panel whereas the 2005 is an 8 bit, so thats at least one area where it gets beat.

twoeyes said:
I believe the 2007FPW is a 6 bit panel whereas the 2005 is an 8 bit, so thats at least one area where it gets beat.

The dell site doesnt really say... It does still say it is 16.7 Million collors, and it has 16ms typical response time, that makes me believe it could still be a 8bit lcd... I dunno.... :bang head

Dell 2007FPW Support Documents

What about backlight bleeding? Is there any indication that's going to be fixed?

I ordered my 2007FPW a few days ago, if it will help I could give alittle review of my impressions, although I'm sure I'll be impressed with anything after using this 19" Envision CRT for the last 6 years... :p

Mr. Chambers said:
I ordered my 2007FPW a few days ago, if it will help I could give alittle review of my impressions, although I'm sure I'll be impressed with anything after using this 19" Envision CRT for the last 6 years... :p

Let me know how it works for you, and if you dont mind, what did you pay for it? :)

lordkosc said:
Let me know how it works for you, and if you dont mind, what did you pay for it? :)

Well that depends. I got in on that Dell deal a few days ago with the system + this monitor for about $740ish after a 40% off coupon and free shipping. I'm fairly sure I can sell the system alone to a customer or relative for at least $600 or more, it's a real nice little system, P4 dual core 512mb DDR2, DVD burner, etc.

So - I will end up getting quite the bargain :santa:

the 2007 should have better backlighting than the 2005, HDMI compliant over DVI, and a newer design. I myself am also waiting for the 2007. After reading the threads over at FAtWallet and Slickdeals about all the 2005s people are having problems with, I think i can wait a little longer.

Seems burnt pixels and backlighting are still an issue with even the latest batch that was sold off with that sale.

EternalX said:
the 2007 should have better backlighting than the 2005, HDMI compliant over DVI, and a newer design. I myself am also waiting for the 2007. After reading the threads over at FAtWallet and Slickdeals about all the 2005s people are having problems with, I think i can wait a little longer.

Seems burnt pixels and backlighting are still an issue with even the latest batch that was sold off with that sale.

That makes me sad....

I just bought a 2007fpw from someone who was in on the bundle deal! Wound up getting it for $400 including insurance and shipping. Not bad! Dont think Dell will be offering deals and discounts on this monitor for at least a little while. Plus 2005's dont get more than $50 below 400 anyway, so i think i made out!

It will be shipping to me on Thursday and i will let you guys know what i think! I am so pumped!!!! Its gonna be a great week :) =D

I'm still in love with my 2005fpw, but I'm interested (for the sake of curiosity) in what the 2007fpw turns out to be like. In a couple years I'll probably pick up something bigger than this one, I really don't think I could have survived a widescreen any smaller than 20".

I was thinking about buying the 2005fpw for such a long time. But when I heard aboutn the 2007 supporting HDMI for Vista, I was all over it. I knew 3 people that bought 2005's and they all had some problems. 2 of them had theirs switched out twice, and my other friend got lucky and got a good one the first try. Hopefully I wont have to deal with the same issues that plagued the 2005. I think Dell would have done something about it because im sure they get a lot of returns on shoddy 2005s. Especially if they are sending refurbs in place of ones purchased new.

Should be here next week sometime, I cant wait!

i got a 2005fpw a few days ago..love it more than my pc now :p
got a great deal of $280 (used) - i plan on selling it off as it doesnt have a warrenty (but doesnt have any problems) and them possibly buying a 2007fpw if i can get a good deal on one w/warrenty. lcd's dont randomly go bad do they?

d94 said:
i got a 2005fpw a few days ago..love it more than my pc now :p
got a great deal of $280 (used) - i plan on selling it off as it doesnt have a warrenty (but doesnt have any problems) and them possibly buying a 2007fpw if i can get a good deal on one w/warrenty. lcd's dont randomly go bad do they?

thats like saying parts in a pc dont sometimes go randomly bad :)

s*** happens, be prepared with a warrenty

So I didn't have time to play with any of the settings, but my 2007fpw looks good to my eyes so far...

Will take pics if anyone wants them, but I'm really busy this week so not sure how much I'll be around.

Mr. Chambers said:
So I didn't have time to play with any of the settings, but my 2007fpw looks good to my eyes so far...

Will take pics if anyone wants them, but I'm really busy this week so not sure how much I'll be around.

PICS!!!!!!! Please!

Back