• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell 2005FPW vs Dell 2007FPW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muzicman82

So, I currently own a Dell 2005FPW, and I love this display. Colors and very vivid, the screen is bright, and its as sharp as a pin.

I just sold off my Dell 1905FP, and so I'm looking to get a 2nd LCD immediately. I'm really leaning towards another 2005FPW so that I have a matched pair, or at least the same models.

Does anyone have any reasons to go with the 2007FPW? I know it suffers from major color banding issues. One review I saw actually prefered the color reproduction of the 2005FPW over the 2007FPW.

More over, the 2005FPW is likely to be cheaper.

2007fpw has better backlighting, the banding problem is resolved i believe, it HDCP so it's a go for vista if you so choose to use that OS in the future.

Theres a lot of back and forth on this argument as to which is better etc. I am in a similar situation as well. I havent bought an LCD because of their expense, and their performance is not as good as CRT, they are getting closer, but they are not there. I luckily have a huge desk, so i will be getting another CRT i think. And then in about 4 years, LCDs will be as good as CRT and then I will buy LCDs....

X0d1@k said:
Theres a lot of back and forth on this argument as to which is better etc. I am in a similar situation as well. I havent bought an LCD because of their expense, and their performance is not as good as CRT, they are getting closer, but they are not there. I luckily have a huge desk, so i will be getting another CRT i think. And then in about 4 years, LCDs will be as good as CRT and then I will buy LCDs....

You say CRT's are better, but yet youve never bought one ....

I have my Dell 2005FPW sitting next to a 17" Trinitron CRT, and it is quite clear to me which is better .... the Dell 2005FPW. I would rethink your next monitor buy if I were you, because LCD's are as good as CRT's and IMO much better.

Sharper, clearer, crisper, etc. yes....Still friggin' slower though. I'm very sensitive to ghosting/smearing and even the "fast" LCDs, I still notice the problem.

I'm buying an LCD within the next few days, ghosting or no ghosting. But how much of a problem is it really on say, an 8ms LCD? I've never had an LCD before and just wondering what I'm getting into.

Generally that's quite acceptable to most people. The fact that manufacturers use different systems for measuring their monitor's response time doesn't help, but the last word will always come to your perception and tolerance level. It's recommended to check out active LCD's on display at a local electronics store to test your initial feel for them, but when you actually buy one, you could run more rigorous tests (ex. gradient test, dead/frozen pixels) or just try out real-world applications (ex. Word, Photoshop, various games, movies, etc.).

Back