• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding nvidia instead of intel graphics drvr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Hello all, I recently installed Linux Mint (KDE) and want to add an nvidia graphics card to the system that will make my games playable...not too demanding games, like half life2 etc.
The current onboard graphics had me trying to play cube 2 at less than 10fps
at times it just stopped completely waiting for the graphics to catch up.

So I have a two fold question...1st is it hard to install nvidia drivers after the main OS install and how to go about it, and

2nd, is there a way to increase the fps with onboard graphics?

Board is an Asrock H61M-VG3 CPU: Intel G2030 @3.0gz (not overclocked).

In the mean time untill I get the new nvidia card, should I try to overclock the onboard graphics unit, or just see what I can do with drivers?
The board is running default at all levels....I just slapped the rig together and excepted the default values and haven't changed them.

This is my 1st experience with Core processors with onboard graphics, so it's all new to me. If there is a sticky to point me to, or any help you all can provide, would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
DocClock

So lets tackle the first question. Nvidia is not difficult to install. You have options for installation:

Code:
nvidia-173                        nvidia-319-dev                    nvidia-cuda-dev                   nvidia-libopencl1-304-updates     nvidia-settings-304-updates
nvidia-173-dev                    nvidia-319-updates                nvidia-cuda-doc                   nvidia-libopencl1-331             nvidia-settings-310
nvidia-304                        nvidia-319-updates-dev            nvidia-cuda-gdb                   nvidia-libopencl1-331-updates     nvidia-settings-310-updates
nvidia-304-dev                    nvidia-331                        nvidia-cuda-toolkit               nvidia-nsight                     nvidia-settings-313-updates
nvidia-304-updates                nvidia-331-dev                    nvidia-current                    nvidia-opencl-dev                 nvidia-settings-319
nvidia-304-updates-dev            nvidia-331-updates                nvidia-current-dev                nvidia-opencl-icd-304             nvidia-settings-319-updates
nvidia-310                        nvidia-331-updates-dev            nvidia-current-updates            nvidia-opencl-icd-304-updates     nvidia-settings-experimental-304
nvidia-310-dev                    nvidia-331-updates-uvm            nvidia-current-updates-dev        nvidia-opencl-icd-331             nvidia-settings-updates
nvidia-310-updates                nvidia-331-uvm                    nvidia-experimental-304           nvidia-opencl-icd-331-updates     nvidia-visual-profiler
nvidia-310-updates-dev            nvidia-cg-dev                     nvidia-experimental-304-dev       nvidia-prime                      
nvidia-313-updates                nvidia-cg-doc                     nvidia-experimental-310           nvidia-profiler                   
nvidia-313-updates-dev            nvidia-cg-toolkit                 nvidia-experimental-310-dev       nvidia-settings                   
nvidia-319                        nvidia-common                     nvidia-libopencl1-304             nvidia-settings-304

These are for Ubuntu, but I am pretty sure debian has similar options. You probably want nvidia-current or you can choose a specific version.

If you prefer to get them directly from Nvidia you can download the .run from their site. It is slightly more difficult installation as you have to stop the X server before running

Code:
sudo sh ./<some nvidia file name>.run

As for overclocking the onboard GPU, i didnt even know you could do this with Windows? I am not aware of any utilities to help with this (if they exist?) but I have never gone looking

I'm no Unix user, but I did find this

What Nvidia card are you putting in? That tool is from 2009 it seems...
Not sure if it will support a newer card.

You can over clock the Nvidia GPUs right from their driver. They just reintroduced support recently

Ok, I have read until I'm blue in the face, but I think I'm getting a handle on things...anyhow, I'm thinking that I should do the driver install through synaptic and my question is, whrn I mark as driver for install, will all the dependencies be worked out and marked for install also?.

I mean there is a lot of stuff in the synaptic list under "Nvidia"

I know I need the driver, is there anything else that I should mark for install or removal?

I'm not giving up just yet

Edit:In line 2 that should read "when I mark a driver for install"

Last edited:
I noticed something else in the synaptic...it shows nouveau drivers that have a green checkbox...does that mean that these are already installed, and I should mark them for removal during the Nvidia install?
Thanks in advance,
Doc

Edit: it asks if I want to completely remove the nouveau drivers along with other options...I assume I should completely remove them right?

Last edited:
You may check out this thread. I used to have to do it this way a few years ago. Basically it disables nouveau on boot using grub

Back