• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anything as affordable and as good/better as ARCTIC Silver 5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The questions are now reformulated:

1. Is MX-2 capacitive?
2. Does MX-2 "last longer" than Arctic Silver 5, all things being equal, meaning if both are subject to the same disturbance.

Unless you are covering your motherboard, it doesn't matter whether it is capacitive or not. That shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Honestly, you are looking at years of service from either, the difference is going to be negligible.

thideras, the Ceramique you suggested is out of stock. It doesn't exactly perform as good as Arctic Silver 5 and I was specific about how in the past, the non-capacitive pastes never performed as well as AS5 and how assuming MX2 is non capacitive, it would be the first non capacitive paste in that price range to beat or match AS5.

I have Windows ME/XP dual boot family PCs where extra few degrees Celcius matter. I just re-applied AS5 to five of them and would have liked to have applied MX2 if it would give me 8 years instead of 7 or if it would give me better performance if disturbed.

My questions stand.

Since MX-2 hasn't been out for 8 years, I don't see how anyone could have personal experience or know how long it will last. :-/

I've used all three (Arctic Silver, Ceramique and MX-2). I've never had to replace any of them before temperatures started wearing down; but my testing range is very small.

Performance, on the other hand, is easily found. I believe MX-2 excels there. It is also extremely to apply.

I suppose the marketing of it being able to last longer may be in comparison to other pastes, not Arctic Silver, but it just seems that they wouldn't exactly pull that claim out of a hat since Time Before Failure for other products doesn't require for that time actually be reached, there are other test methods to obtain it.

+1 on Arctic Cooling MX-2 :thup:

most aftermarket TIMs perform the same (within a few degrees). but i went with this because its safe (wont damage if accidentally went on motherboard) and its ease of application. oh and pretty cheap! here is where i bought it from, they ship free and same day: http://www.svc.com/fan-mx2.html

Last edited:
Do people that put on after market coolers actually keep them in place or even keep the system for 7 or 8 years? there may be a few but my guess is most that work on their own systems don't even keep systems that old around or either would have no problem with taking the cooler off and reapplying new TIM when it needs it.

You also loooooooooove cool temps and 1C seems to matter to you, so I can see why you would do that!

Anyhoo......

eeh, when it's something cheap like paste, why not...anything less than $20, why not have the headroom, god knows I use it :D

Do people that put on after market coolers actually keep them in place or even keep the system for 7 or 8 years? there may be a few but my guess is most that work on their own systems don't even keep systems that old around or either would have no problem with taking the cooler off and reapplying new TIM when it needs it.

Not 7 or 8 years, but I had a couple of folding rigs that had the heatsink stay on for 2+ years without removal when I was using the Arctic Silver 3 and temps stayed well in line. I just had to periodically blow the dust bunnies out of the heatsink and case and set her back to folding.

Not 7 or 8 years, but I had a couple of folding rigs that had the heatsink stay on for 2+ years without removal when I was using the Arctic Silver 3 and temps stayed well in line. I just had to periodically blow the dust bunnies out of the heatsink and case and set her back to folding.

My oldest system I made last me several years also and I'm not saying I would want a TIM that I had to change out every six months but for a TIM to say its good for 7 or so years really isn't a selling point to me since I would be changing something out by then anyway.

About the only useful place that something lasting that long would be on end user systems, heck most of the buyers don't even know they have a cooler little lone TIM and don't understand that heat is an issue until the system doesn't work anymore. :D

For my use a couple degrees isn't critical so I'm still using the AS Ceramique tube that is 3 years old. I also have a new tube of AS 5 that came with a heatsink. I should be good until the year 2045... :thup:

I dunno, I have an old socket A board with an XP2400+ mobile set to like 2.4ghz & 1.6vcore in an old tower, it has been sitting in a closet for prolly 5 years untouched with the heatsink still attached. I was just about to give it to a friend who has an even older computer than that. All I did was open the case and blow out the dust before booting it up. Anyway it powered up and the temp stayed around 37C idle and it loaded at 49c, not bad for an application of AS3 that was most likely applied 6-7 years ago and has been through 2 moves.

Got the Arctic MX-2 and on the back of the retail package it says that it eliminates any risks of cuasing a short circuit and that it outperforms Arctic Silver 5.

c6, since I have started using MX2 I have really liked it's performance and especially how easy it is to apply and remove too. And with heatsink testing those qualities are very important also, besides the actual performance.

I am one of the many that are testing a new compound for JoeC called Perihelion. I have to say, it seems like a very formidable paste. I'm not sure what pricing will be like, but it is very nice thus far.:D

He was also nice enough to send a tube of ICD7 with the first testing sample.:)

Back