• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Welcome to the 2012 Chimp Challenge (progress reports updated here)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

This is the update thread I'll be using throughout the race. Stay tuned.

There are three categories that get CC points this year: Points, Growth, and Conversion. Points is pretty clear, Growth is the growth of the race team, compared to a starting value they have found, and conversion is based on the number of teammates that are racing for you.

When Tanker is uploading, I'll be off-forum, for up to an hour. Next upload is at 4:00 pm.

Last edited:
At the 2:30 update.

Clearly the EVGApes are planning on taking no prisoners in this race, and have taken a solid lead over the rest of the field.

We've moved into second place, but TSC is still outproducing us in points - and that's not a good sign. They are expected to increase their growth and conversion numbers as the race goes on, since they have some large BOINC teams.

CCDay1_1400hrs.PNG

At 3:30 pm, the tables have turned, quite dramatically!

We've been moved way down in the rankings, and Monkey_Bullocks have moved into a strong second place. I'll be off for an hour while Tanker uploads in just a few minutes, but contemplate little OCAU, knocking off EVGA and OCN, for the first time ever in the CC!

CCDay1_1530hrs.PNG

Last edited:
Scoring for the CC is a bit more complex than usual. It breaks down like this:

1) Points category - raw points given by Stanford divided by one million. 100 Million points will give our team 100 racing points in the "Points" category.

2) Growth category- is a comparison with our CC results in the same period, from last year, in percent. If we're 20% higher than last year during the same time period, then we get 20 points in the Growth category.

3) Conversion category - the percent of our team's points than are produced by our racing name. This is where we need to have ALL our members to have a good score.

Now the fun starts:

Each category will be "ranged" - that is, subtract the lowest number in the category, from the highest number, That is the range for that category. Race points are then given by the equation: race points = (points * 100)/range

Now, the lowest score is subtracted from the range of the above total scores, and 10 is added to each score.

Finally, team total scores should be in the 10-110 range!

Whew!

The point of all the above, is to even out the handicap system, so it doesn't favor the big teams, and it doesn't favor the small teams either.

In my very brief testing, this actually favored the big teams, but it's on the right track, statistically.

Being realistic, OCN and EVGA are so race oriented, that it would be unlikely that any fair system would keep them out of at least a strong ranking in the Chimp Challenge.

Last edited:
At 5:30 update, the OCN racers have surged to the top of the heap -- as expected.

TSC! has done their big "dump" for the day, so they've fallen back a bit. Seeing this, they WILL recruit more members from their BOINC teams, and if they're successful - watch out! They'll be back!

Custom PC and Bit-tech are not doing well at all this year. Looks like no race preparation was done, and already their heart is not into the race.

EVGA is not ramped up fully. Did well the first few hours, but they always seem to take a day or two to get up to full speed. Big armies, move slower.

We're back up to third and looking good! :thup:

ccDay1_1730hrs.PNG

<< Go Monkeys Go >>

Last edited:
My pleasure!

6:30 pm Update:

I don't believe the updated data came through for this hour! The stats looked different, because the picture I saved, had a different format, lengthening the column out.

It would STILL be great fun to beat EVGA! :thup:

Monkey_Bullocks are doing well also, staying close to us. Beavers Gone Banana's and Custom PC have hit a tough patch. The way the points work, your team could have a good points production folding, and still have a lousy race update - because you had a great update last year, in this segment of the race!

And the Beavers had many of those great updates, last year. That will be a burden for them to carry, this year.

ccDay1_1830hrs.png

Last edited:
The way the points work, your team could have a good points production folding, and still have a lousy race update - because you had a great update last year, in this segment of the race!

Ahhh! I didn't entirely understand that in your points explanation, but now with an example, I get it!

Thanks Zodac!

I haven't had the time I thought I'd have to work with the stats today. Lots of busy stuff -- you know how that goes.

By the way, we have a backup monkey artillery brigade inbound under the cover of night. Not sure when the bombs will drop exactly, but you'll know when they do.

T32monkeys are on the move:

movingmonkey.PNG

Making slow monkeys jealous:

slowmonkeys.PNG

Glorious Leader approves:

smilingmonkey.PNG

Thank you very much for the nice updates! Going to get another banana splitter up in an hour or so. Hopefully another 20kppd or so.

We've got more benchers inbound yet!

I also believe we went from around 180 clients this morning to about 219 clients currently. :burn: :burn:

EDIT: Stats just updated too - we're holding 2nd, and we have TAKEN 1st in growth and 3rd in conversion! We've cut the gap to 1st to only 54 points. :rock:

Back