• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to cool M.2 on an Asus Apex

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zinsco

What's the best way to cool a couple m.2 cards mounted to the expansion slot on an Asus Maximus IX Apex? I'm water cooling cpu and gpu. Any links would be appreciated.

Earlier Samsung M.2 NVMe were overheating. New not really and if you have M.2 PCIE on other controller then it's barely passing 60*C. I have Patriot Hellfire based on Phison controller and I haven't seen more than ~60*C without any airflow near SSD.

The area where the dimm.2 slot is located it is supposed to be cooled by memory cooling fans like witchee posted. That said, it's likely not needed. It being open air and not hidden under or close to a gpu dumping it's heat, it should be ok.

Well, it's good to hear that the new ones aren't heating up as much. If I wanted to put a memory cooling fan like witchee posted just to add some cooling to it anyway, I'm not sure it will fit. The expansion card that the M.2 attaches to is pretty high. It's higher then the memory sticks. Does anyone know if the one witchee posted would fit above the expansion card or if there is one that will?

Well, it's good to hear that the new ones aren't heating up as much. If I wanted to put a memory cooling fan like witchee posted just to add some cooling to it anyway, I'm not sure it will fit. The expansion card that the M.2 attaches to is pretty high. It's higher then the memory sticks. Does anyone know if the one witchee posted would fit above the expansion card or if there is one that will?

If you read the description it says 85mm of clearance which is more than 3 inches.

Trust me there's lots of room I have one at home and the Corsair cooler will easily clear the card

I run 2x Patriot Hellfire on APEX 2nd day now and there are no issues at all. temps are about the same as in standard M.2 slots and there is no additional airflow ( just bench table with water block on CPU and not even one fan ). Sensors from the M.2 DIMM card are saying that ambient temp near each of the SSD is about 35*C during work. I'm not sure where are the sensors but I guess that under the SSD.
Btw. performance in RAID0 is the same as on regular M.2 slots and it won't make more than ~4GB/s so when manufacturer says there is 32gbps M.2 slot then it really means it's max bandwidth for all M.2 slots ( ~4GB/s ).

Alpha cool just came out with a proper M.2 Heatsink. It looks like they went down the same path as MSI did with their M.2 Heatshield, but did it right. I will be using them on my new build and will report temps when it's up and running.

Back