• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3570k Isn't Running as Hot as Expected

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ya, that be a good idea I think.

U using H100 as cooling right?
I think you should be able to get 4.8Ghz without too much problems.. at around 1.4V

but yeah, I don't have an IB chip.. so dont listen to me. :)

thermalright silver arrow :)

contentteller.php

^^^ Love that beast of a cooler. Nicer colours than on my Noctua although the fan does blend with my red CFL's alright ;)

its cool, my system is great for gaming, i don't need a second gtx, i prefer the hassle free compatibility of 1 card. and i always vsync to 60 fps.

i used to own 2, 6970 but i sold them for the reasons above.

1333 memory yea

thanks for the post/advice on the cpu :D

Lol, you think the way I do in regards to video cards dude. It's why I don't bother with anything higher than a 550W PSU. ;)

^^^ Love that beast of a cooler. Nicer colours than on my Noctua although the fan does blend with my red CFL's alright ;)

Lol, you think the way I do in regards to video cards dude. It's why I don't bother with anything higher than a 550W PSU. ;)

yeah i built my system from the ground up a while back using all amd and republic of gamers board, 2 of those cards and an 1100t etc, it was nice for a while, but i got fed up with negative crossfire scaling in games, and realised i didnt need 250 frames per second when it ran worse i.e (not silky smooth) than using 1 card by itself, not to mention the screen tearing because ati cant pull their finger out and make a working vsync option in their control centre like nvidia.

so i sold both cards, got the best gtx 580 i could find and never looked back.

and now since sold my 1100t and about to sell my crosshair v, i really like the performance boost with this chip. i'm intel and nvidia all the way after using amd for practically 10 years straight almost :)

A single 1GB OC'd HD6870 does all I need, basically Battlefield 3 at max res on Ultra settings.... Not quite though, I run MSAA at 2x and turn off motion blur. Runs smooth as and I cna't tell the difference with higher MSAA anyway. ;)

On the other hand, 1GB isn't enough, it offloads most of that into main system memory. Good thing I've plenty of it :D

A single 1GB OC'd HD6870 does all I need, basically Battlefield 3 at max res on Ultra settings.... Not quite though, I run MSAA at 2x and turn off motion blur. Runs smooth as and I cna't tell the difference with higher MSAA anyway. ;)

On the other hand, 1GB isn't enough, it offloads most of that into main system memory. Good thing I've plenty of it :D

yeah, some games use loads of video memory, skyrim on max settings runs at 1500mb for me on my gpu, lol

but tera, even though its a beautiful game uses only 500mb at max settings. rather strange to say the least :)

Hmmmm, I've not played Skyrim since I had 4GB RAM..... I should really try it again....

Not necessarily strange, I just think some game devs spend more time getting the game engine "right" whereas most rely on people buying ever higher end hardware these days

Lol at the thread title. Push your chip to 4.8 or 4.9 and then come tell us IB doesnt run hot. Right around 4.6-4.7 temps spike and the voltage scaling goes to crap.

I ran mine though Prime95 for 9 hours to be absolutely sure of stability.

For 24/7 Clocks that you can be sure will not fail no matter what your doing an overnight torture test is advisable.

A few months of these clocks now and not the slightest hitch.

yeah i haven't gone into depth dude, tbh i'm not a serious overclocker, i dont bench all day, i'm a gamer so i just wanted a fast chip. not really going to fiddle around so much with it.

yeah, all i did was set the turbo multiplier to 44x, 45x and post the results. i am sure someone can get better numbers than mine, but i just wanted to share, since i am sure some of you were interested in seeing what these chips were like.

You're missing the point. It's got nothing to do with that. It's got to do with the overall stability of your computer. You don't need to OC seriously; or bench or anything, but you need to test your computer for stability.. That's my point. And also to find your absolute sustained maximum temperatures.

lololol, 78 c @ 4.4 is very hot...... i am doing high 50's @ 4.8 ghz on my 2700k with HT off. With a silver arrow you would be probs getting a 5-10 higher. so lower temps and a higher clock/performance. ( even taking into account the 2-7% performance diff)

U push that to 4.6 and youll be hitting high 80's which just isnt healthy. If anything this has just proved everyone's point that IB do run hot lol

thats actually pretty hot for those clocks + those voltages running prime 95 @ nearly 80*C

i run my sandy @ 4.7ghz 1.43v on a A50 @ less than 80*C

(Forgive me not having the pics) The system that I just built using the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K and the Corsair H100 at 4.6GHz and 1.25v was running at high 80s under load in LinX. I have only spent around 3 hours working on the overclocking end of this processor and it is more than possible that I could cut some voltage or get a better cooling going in the system. I don't know if I could pull the temps down 15c. In the end I clocked it down to 4.2GHz to get it into 70s.

Here are the components that I used:

- Intel® SSDSC2CW120A3K5 520 Series Solid State Drive - 120GB, SATA III (6Gb/s)
- Intel® Desktop Board DZ77GA-70K Extreme board
- Intel® Core™ i5-3570K (Engineering Sample)
- SilverStone Strider Plus ST75F-P 750W ATX Modular Power Supply
- EVGA 03G-P3-1595-AR GeForce GTX 580 Classified ULTRA Video Card
- Logitech Gaming Keyboard G110 – USB
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT
- D-Link DWA-130 Wireless N Network Adapter - 300Mbps, 802.11n, USB 2.0
- Lite-On iHES112-04 12X Internal Blu-Ray/DVDRW Combo Drive
- Corsair CMZ8GX3M2X1600C8B Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 240-pin DIMM, 1.5V, CL8
- Corsair Vengeance M90 Laser Gaming Mouse
- Corsair CWCH100 Hydro H100 CPU Liquid Cooler
- Corsair CC600TM Graphite Series 600T mid Tower Case
- Western Digital WD1002FAEX 1TB Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gbs

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Before dropping your OC you may want to test dropping some voltages other than vcore. Ive found that undervolting PLL helps with temps, you can give that a try. I only needed higher than 1.6v PLL to clock past 4.8Ghz, up to that point 1.6-1.65v worked fine. You can also drop VCCIO and VCCSA a bit.

Forgive my ignorance but what is Intel Enthusiast Team?

I just got my 3770K today (Thanks I.M.O.G. for going out of your way to pick it up for me :thup: ) and so far I'm doing a relatively short session of Prime/Blend on it for a quick and dirty stability test. I have it at 4.5 with a load vcore of 1.184 (set at 1.165 on LL1 in bios) and so far it looks to be hotter than the 2600K I was running in that system, but is achieving that overclock with quite a bit less vcore. The setup is as follows:

Asrock P67 Extreme6 board with beta bios L2.02
4 X 4 GB G. Skill Ripjaws X + Turbulence DDR3-2133 ram
EVGA GTX260/216 vid card
Custom loop consisting of an older Swiftech GTZ cpu block, MCP355 pump on BayRes1, Swiftech MCW60 gpu block on vid card, XSPC RX360 rad and a HWLabs GTX140, push pull fan setup on both rads.

A few things I have already noted since the switch:

Load wattage on the 2600K, as read by my APC UPS (total system load), running only P95 blend and no load on vid card - 278-281 watts

Load wattage on the 3770K, as read by my APC UPS (total system load), running only P95 blend and no load on vid card - 234-237 watts

Max temp on hottest core of 2600K running P95 Blend (1 hour run) - 66 C

Max temp on hottest core of 3770K running P95 Blend (2 hour run) - 74 C

Load vcore on 2600K @ 4.5 was 1.328v

Load vcore on 3770K @ 4.5 is 1.192v

@ IntelEnthusiast, could you pass along to your contacts in Intel that I would pay $10-20 more for a processor if they would quit cheaping out on Ivy Bridge using TIM in between the core and IHS and go back to using the fluxless solder process to bond the IHS to the core. The fluxless solder process conducts heat soooo much better than the old fashioned and inefficient TIM they are using on IB. I am seeing 10 C difference in max temps so far between the cores, which is much higher than I have seen with the 2-2600K, 1-2500K, 980X, i7 930 and even the old QX9650 in my daughter's system. All those use the fluxless solder TIM bonding process and all are more even on core temperature consistency.

EDIT: Finished a 2 hour P95/Blend run successfully and updated vcore and load temp in post.

Last edited:
@ IntelEnthusiast, could you pass along to your contacts in Intel that I would pay $10-20 more for a processor if they would quit cheaping out on Ivy Bridge using TIM in between the core and IHS and go back to using the fluxless solder process to bond the IHS to the core. The fluxless solder process conducts heat soooo much better than the old fashioned and inefficient TIM they are using on IB.

+1

If its a "K" processor, there should be no cheaping out period. Its an enthusiast chip, not a mainstream "we can get away with TIM" chip. With a non-k model, nobody would care, since temps would still be fine at stock values.

^^^ Agree with you 100% diaz. Unfortunately I think this is simply due to lack of competition in the high end. Intel don't have to do better, and so they don't

^+2
I had a chat with a (very nice) Intel support guy yesterday, and gave him the same feedback.

I would have bought a new 3770k instead of a used 2600K if the IHS were soldered.

EDIT: my z77 Mobo is waiting for the new "not as cheap" stepping!

I doubt it matter, this is just a process change. The next gen will see architectural changes and a nice increase in IPC and/or frequency.

Back