• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HowTO: Setup an LDAP Server CentOS 6.3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey,

Any update on group access permissions? I added the following lines to the client's sssd.conf but it doesn't seem to work:

ldap_access_filter = memberOf=cn=operations,ou=Group,dc=example,dc=com
ldap_access_order = filter, host, authorized_service

Can anybody help out here?

Stratus_ss, Thanks for this awesome toutorial.

I have been searching, testing and searching more, combining guides, trying one guide to work with another when one does not work.

I tried First the one from 2012, got some errors and I read all the posts, trying it to work. Then I stompled on a URL to this updated guide. Worked like a sharm the first try. Thanks!

This got me to join this forum. This will be my first post.

C yaa around!

:welcome:

Glad you got sorted. While I (we) can't help everyone we do at least try. Sometimes my work does not afford me the time to try and debug everyone's problems so some questions do go unanswered

Anyways welcome to the forums. Many happy returns

:comp:

Battled with changing user passwords for a long time.
Created a password.ldif that may have helped but the main changed was with /etc/pam_ldap.conf on the client.

Added:
rootbinddn cn=manager,dc=vine,dc=local
bindpw=secret

and put the password in
/etc/pam_ldap.secret

Then a
chmod 600 /etc/pam_ldap.secret

thanks for posting back. Its always great when people post their own fixes in the thread to help others

well I am glad you found it helpful,

Though I am not sure what you mean by "clean" using the authconfig-tui vs authconfig makes very little difference. Other than that I am advising double checking certs and ensuring that home directories are created. Very little difference from your tutorial

well I am glad you found it helpful,

Though I am not sure what you mean by "clean" using the authconfig-tui vs authconfig makes very little difference. Other than that I am advising double checking certs and ensuring that home directories are created. Very little difference from your tutorial

"Clean" ? the authconfig method is just another way to do it that I found in another guide.

I just complied your guide (that is great for LDAP setup in general) with the guide(s) I found for SSSD setup (one doesn't need to install anything related to pam, etc (pam_ldap nss-pam-ldapd pam_krb5 are not needed) and the other guide i found says to not use them period.

Again, thank you for your article! I would still be stuck getting LDAP/TLS running if it were not for you!

in ldap server configuration

after running the script it is asking the password. please suggest

Enter Password or Pin for "NSS Certificate DB":
Enter Password or Pin for "NSS Certificate DB":

hi sukumar

The script should have set those passwords to "password", however if it did not set those passwords to something you will remember

This same steps won't work in Centos 6.5 ?, Tried several times Server setups works perfect while client side configuration done tried su - babin this gives always user not exist

Its hard to help you when you dont provide any meaningful output.

I know that my LDAP server is running fine on CentOS 6.5, however I did not tear it down and build it back up, its been upgraded since 6.3.

It sounds like the client is missing ldap.conf or some ldap related information. When you do an ldap search from the client what do you get?

While doing a search i got the below, and its take more than 3 minutes to get this error..

[root@client ~]# ldapsearch -x -b 'o=babin'

ldap_sasl_bind(SIMPLE): Can't contact LDAP server (-1)

This is the log which i got from ldap server.

[root@ldap sssd]# tail -f *
==> ldap_child.log <==

==> sssd_default.log <==
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:05 2014) [sssd[be[default]]] [main] (0x0010): Could not initialize backend [22]
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:05 2014) [sssd[be[default]]] [load_backend_module] (0x0010): Error (22) in module (ldap) initialization (sssm_ldap_id_init)!
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:05 2014) [sssd[be[default]]] [be_process_init] (0x0010): fatal error initializing data providers
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:05 2014) [sssd[be[default]]] [main] (0x0010): Could not initialize backend [22]
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:07 2014) [sssd[be[default]]] [load_backend_module] (0x0010): Error (22) in module (ldap) initialization (sssm_ldap_id_init)!
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:07 2014) [sssd[be[default]]] [be_process_init] (0x0010): fatal error initializing data providers
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:07 2014) [sssd[be[default]]] [main] (0x0010): Could not initialize backend [22]
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:11 2014) [sssd[be[default]]] [load_backend_module] (0x0010): Error (22) in module (ldap) initialization (sssm_ldap_id_init)!
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:11 2014) [sssd[be[default]]] [be_process_init] (0x0010): fatal error initializing data providers
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:11 2014) [sssd[be[default]]] [main] (0x0010): Could not initialize backend [22]

==> sssd.log <==
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:11 2014) [sssd] [mt_svc_exit_handler] (0x0010): Process [default], definitely stopped!
(Tue Aug 26 17:26:24 2014) [sssd] [mt_svc_sigkill] (0x0010): [default][2021] is not responding to SIGTERM. Sending SIGKILL.

==> sssd_nss.log <==
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:10 2014) [sssd[nss]] [sss_dp_init] (0x0010): Failed to connect to monitor services.
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:10 2014) [sssd[nss]] [sss_process_init] (0x0010): fatal error setting up backend connector
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:10 2014) [sssd[nss]] [sss_dp_init] (0x0010): Failed to connect to monitor services.
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:10 2014) [sssd[nss]] [sss_process_init] (0x0010): fatal error setting up backend connector

==> sssd_pam.log <==
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:10 2014) [sssd[pam]] [sss_dp_init] (0x0010): Failed to connect to monitor services.
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:10 2014) [sssd[pam]] [sss_process_init] (0x0010): fatal error setting up backend connector
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:10 2014) [sssd[pam]] [sss_dp_init] (0x0010): Failed to connect to monitor services.
(Tue Aug 26 17:03:10 2014) [sssd[pam]] [sss_process_init] (0x0010): fatal error setting up backend connector

But same while i have a look into client machine logs i cant see anything.

While doing a search i got the below, and its take more than 3 minutes to get this error..

When you get this it definitely means there is a problem with the client (or possibly a client and/or server firewall)

Does the ldap search work on the server itself?

What do your ldap files look like on the client?

Do you have iptables running?

SELinux?

Thanks for the quick response

When you get this it definitely means there is a problem with the client (or possibly a client and/or server firewall)

What do your ldap files look like on the client?

SELinux?

yes its search itself and working.

i don't understand this question

yes there iptables are applied and even i have checked using a IPtables flush

Yes selinux is there too.

Hi,

Just now i have done a fresh install both ldap and one of client machine still i have the same issue, in both machines i have flushed the iptables, and disabled the selinux before starting the installation . Before 8 months back i did the same steps and its worked perfect in centos 6.3.

While Running this in Server i got the below reply

[root@ldap ~]# ldapsearch -x -b 'o=babin'
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <o=babin> with scope subtree
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 1
[root@ldap ~]#

While the same running in Client machine i got this

[root@babin ~]# ldapsearch -x -b 'o=babin'
ldap_sasl_bind(SIMPLE): Can't contact LDAP server (-1)

Just tried using a debug level in server

[root@ldap ~]# ldapsearch -d 1 -v -H ldaps://babin:636
ldap_url_parse_ext(ldaps://babin:636)
ldap_initialize( ldaps://babin:636/??base )
ldap_create
ldap_url_parse_ext(ldaps://babin:636/??base)
ldap_pvt_sasl_getmech
ldap_search
put_filter: "(objectclass=*)"
put_filter: simple
put_simple_filter: "objectclass=*"
ldap_send_initial_request
ldap_new_connection 1 1 0
ldap_int_open_connection
ldap_connect_to_host: TCP babin:636
ldap_new_socket: 3
ldap_prepare_socket: 3
ldap_connect_to_host: Trying 210.11.232.21:636
ldap_pvt_connect: fd: 3 tm: -1 async: 0
ldap_close_socket: 3
ldap_err2string
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)

Same debug level run in client and i got this

[root@client ~]# ldapsearch -d 1 -v -H ldaps://babin:636
ldap_url_parse_ext(ldaps://babin:636)
ldap_initialize( ldaps://babin:636/??base )
ldap_create
ldap_url_parse_ext(ldaps://babin:636/??base)
ldap_pvt_sasl_getmech
ldap_search
put_filter: "(objectclass=*)"
put_filter: simple
put_simple_filter: "objectclass=*"
ldap_send_initial_request
ldap_new_connection 1 1 0
ldap_int_open_connection
ldap_connect_to_host: TCP babin:636
ldap_connect_to_host: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known
ldap_err2string
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)

I cant able to ping from both machine each other.

While looking logs in clients show the below

[root@client ~]# tail -f /var/log/sssd/*
==> /var/log/sssd/ldap_child.log <==

==> /var/log/sssd/sssd_default.log <==

==> /var/log/sssd/sssd.log <==

==> /var/log/sssd/sssd_nss.log <==

==> /var/log/sssd/sssd_pam.log <==

Ports are even open in server
-----------------------------

[root@ldap ~]# netstat -tunlp | grep 636
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:636 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 25532/slapd
tcp 0 0 :::636 :::* LISTEN