• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacement case and CPU cooler suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AJTheGamer

Hey guys :) I've got a 212 EVO and I'm looking to get a new fan for the pull part of the push/pull configuration, but I'm a little unsure of what to get, I've gotten some fan suggestions before, but most were harder to find outside of ebay.

so with http://www.mwave.com.au/ as the site I'll be ordering off, can anyone suggest a good fan for the pull configuration, preferably in black or green, and any other fan suggestions to go along with it as I have to eventually replace mine and add a few more :)

Don't bother. The 212 Evo is not restrictive enough to benefit by a meaningful amount.

What if I were to replace stock fan and add a new fan? I'm reading the reviews over at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/331629-28-cooling-roundup-2012 ...

I want to replace all the fans, maybe the CPU cooler fan with 2 Cooljag Everflow 120?

And maybe the Enermax TB Vegas or Silverstone Air Penetrators for intake/outake fans for the rest of the case.... Just really trying to maximise the cooling from my airflow, not too worried about noise tho I would like it to look nice :)

The Corsair SP120's are very good fans. Not as quiet as the Noctua's but at High speeds perform very well. Oh and the come in a variety of colors.

You will not gain much either by going to a push/pull setup or a more powerful push fan. I've tried it both ways on that cooler. You would be lucky to get 2c improvement. Make sure your case ventilation is adequate.

In that case what fans are good for airflow within the case? I guess intake fans would be the main ones to worry about?

In that case what fans are good for airflow within the case? I guess intake fans would be the main ones to worry about?

No. If the exhaust fans collectively are not moving the same amount of air or greater as the intake fans then the exhaust fans are creating an airflow blockage. I don't want to get into that whole argument of positive vs. negative case air flow with other forum members but the fact is if you want the best air flow for cooling then have your exhaust be stronger than your intake. The downside of that is it brings more dust into your case which means more frequent dusting and cleaning. I own an 8 gal. air compressor so dusting and cleaning is a relatively easy task for me.

Last edited:
No. If the exhaust fans collectively are not moving the same amount of air or greater as the intake fans then the exhaust fans are creating an airflow blockage. I don't want to get into that whole argument of positive vs. negative air flow with other forum members but the fact is if you want the best air flow for cooling then have your exhaust be stronger than your intake. The downside of that is it brings more dust into your case which means more frequent dusting and cleaning. I own an 8 gal. air compressor so dusting and cleaning is a relatively easy task for me.

I'm more than willing to clean it regularly, so I guess I'll have to look into some high performing fans and pair the right intakes with the right exhaust fans, guess I've got more research to do :p

AJ, I went with push pull on my CM 212 with Scythe Slipstream 110 cfm fans and I saw a 3c difference over the stock single fan. This was with it mounted on my AMD 955 Be oced to 4.1. I wouldn't expect any major temp changes with that cooler going P/P.

Here is what case air flow should look like.

Attachments

• case ventilation.JPG
    case ventilation.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 107
IMO-FWIW Case fans aren't nearly as important as CPU HSF or RAD fans. Unless noise is an issue (you already mentioned it's not) inexpensive case fans that push adequate air will work as well as expensive fans for case ventilation. If a case fan dies prematurely nothing in your rig will get damaged. Just replace the fan and proceed. The key IMO is to just make sure you have enough cool air moving in and enough warm air moving out.

There are several threads here dedicated to eliminating dead spots and positive/negative pressures. Those are definetly things to consider, but brand A vs. brand B not gonna make a ton of difference.

I'm with Trents on the whole Pos/Neg pressure thing, though most here will say positive is the way to go so that's likely the best route.

For every extra degree of temp in the case air you will get a corresponding increase in processor temp.

On a high end machine, just get a Delta for a case fan. One 120mm will do unless you have a machine with multiple CPU chips.

On a high end machine, just get a Delta for a case fan. One 120mm will do unless you have a machine with multiple CPU chips.

Yep, if noise is not concern you can't beat a Delta. Just make sure you secure lite objects in the room.

I found in my years that having an equal amount of intake and exhaust works the best. I tried both positive and negative pressure each one had its pros and cons, but neither did a great job of cooling. I am now into mITX builds which need good airflow because of the smaller volume inside the case to disperse heat. My newest setup beats my older NZXT phantom, 650D and lian li Q08 by a substantial amount in gpu/CPU load temps using the same core components. Keep it simple by directing the airflow in the same direction and using the same amount of intake exhaust fans.

Back