• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a FX-4350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yea i tried to use the Q-Fan function of my mobo but it doesnt do what i want. it's still too loud. min. rpm is 60%. im down to 30% rpm with speedfan.

besides i think i have to buy a new case. my case is 11 years old haha. im looking for a case where my mobo is "lying" in the case to reduce the weight on the cpu cooler clip, u know. some kind of "desktop/htpc case". quite hard to find a big one.

another idea were to buy a water cooling system although i heard its damn loud too :(

great case. exacly what im looking for. thanks!

ill trawl the water cooling sub-forum to get some infos :)

I suggest you read the 'stickies' in the watercooling section before you even think to post a question. They have had a tendency to point the newb back at the stickies, since the majority of information is there already. So is said. FYI.
RGone..

Hi all!!! n00b here :)

Reviving this as I just put together a very similar rig that OP had.

I'm interested in OCing my 4350, but I opted for the M5A97 R2.0 board... not the LE version.

Based on what I was reading, some of the main concerns for OP OCing his FX were:
No heatsinks on the VRM
No 8-pin CPU power port on the mobo

The non LE version of this board has these items.

I also read the AMD guide by ssjwizard. Interesting stuff. Also looked at the list of AMD mobos, and whether or not the board would be sufficient to OC my 4350.
Everything seems okay in terms of being able to do so. I don't want to go nuts... I was thinking of bumping it up to 4.5GHz. Is that okay with the stock heatsink/fan?

Here's my info in case someone needs it
MOBO > ASUS M5A97 R2.0
CPU & Cooler > AMD FX-4350, stock heatsink & fan
MEMORY > Patriot PV316G186C0KBL (2x8GB)
POWER SUPPLY > Thermaltake Bronze series 600W
VIDEO CARD > Gigabyte AMD Radeon R7 240 (OC Edition) 2GB. Just one card :)
HDDs/Optical drives > 1 WD Blue 1TB SATA HDD, 1 LG DVD+RW drive
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB > None at the moment
O/S > Win 10 Pro
Case > Lian Li PC-62, 2 intake fans in front, one exhaust fan in back (all 80mm fans)

ChaosShadow, you may want to start your own thread, only because it may get more views that way. With the Fx 4350 you do not need a top tier motherboard to Oc like one does with an Fx 8xxx chip. Unless one was looking for max overclocks, with a 4.5 Ghz goal you should be able to get there all depending on the chip and components surrounding it. I do see two things that concern me, "Stock Heatsink" and the Thermal take Psu". I'm pretty sure the stock heatsink will not be sufficient to handle the heatload of the 4350 when overclocked. Thermal take Psu's have been hit or miss, depending on the exact model you have, some can be really bad.

I have my 4350 running at 5.02ghz and at 1.596V on a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 using a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 and Gelid GC Extreme Thermal compound. On Cinebench R15 it scores a 113 on single core and a 380 on multi core. Image1.jpg Image1.jpg

Looks good, a tad warm maybe but surprising for that small cooler.

Back