• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP 2500+/ serve 2 games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GERRY136

my friends and i just built a lan room to hold 10 rigs plus a server.
we will only be running 2 games, medal of honor and ut 2004.
will a stock 2500+ with 1 gig of ram (prolly corsair 3200) on a fast epox 333 fsb board and a large 7200rpm hd be enough to run a dedicated ut 2004 server AND a dedicated medal of honor server at the same time? i dont mind overclocking the system at all. also, we may allow users to enter off the net also with a max of 10 players total for each game. if need be i ill go with a 10,000rpm raptor 36gig.
thanx all.

I think it should do just fine. a dedicated server won't tax a system too much, what you should do is make sure you get a good, fast NIC, at least 100mbps and a good switch

thanx for the quick reply.
one more thing, shoud i get just 1 switch and run all 10 machines from it or 2 swithes and put 5 on each? would that help any lag that may be present? or would it not be noticable with just the 1?

I'm pretty sure that any lag on a LAN with only 10 comps will be negligble... And its not worth to get the second switch. I could be wrong tho, but from my expirience, even on a 10TBase hub (not switch) with 6-7 rigs in quake3 our ping was no more than 10ms...

Back