• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have Retail version ATI 8500!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually the det XPs dont work with my Windows XP.....im still using 12.90...not that much of a performance dip so im not that irked but it just freezes up and says "Error: nv4.disp"

guys, remember that this is a discussion on hardware and not personal attacks...keep the peace:)...its amazing how worked up people get about hardware....

Ritteri&Bubbles said:
Angry: I think me and you are getting to click on the same page here a bit, at least I know that you have some clue as to what Im saying, good luck with your projects! Sounds like some serious fun!

thanks man, just out of curosity, where is your store at?

Anyway, I ~~>guess<~~ I was right about drivers improving performance, but I belive what KS was saying was that, why dont people like nvidia go ahead and put out drivers that alrdy max out the cards speed?

The only reason I can think of is because, in the example Ritteri provided, 3dfx, and nvidias Tnt line up, 3dfx may have saved the drivers so that they would still give nvidia a run for its money, after they came out with thier tnt cards.
oh and personaly I have a Voodoo2 running with my ATI RadeonSDR, Athlon 550 @ 611, under win2k I play Tribes 1 with it and its sliky smooth, but teh card does run hot though, I plan to get another one for SLI and the use of 1024x768 res.

Well laterz guyz. This was a fun debate, learned a few things while at it.

Ritteri&Bubbles said:
Yeah, its called Any Nvidia GeForce Chipset! LOL!:D

On a serious side, no I dont know of any, tellin ya, your going to wait quite a bit before that card does what you want it to do(unless u just bought it for benchmark scores), so I would sit tight and be patient.:eek:

LOL

Kingslayer said:

Hmm, lets see.

Microsoft did this. It's called XP home. XP home can't run SMP and can't log onto a domain. Microsoft hasnt advertised this, this had to be discovered.

nVidia does do this. They just rebadge it, give it a different name, take $50 off the price and throw it to the nVidia brainwashed. And they love it....

The only reason that people are whinning about ATI doing it is because it has nVidia by the nuts. They did this exact same thing with the Radeon 64DDR when it came out. And they did it to the retail ones. The retail 64DDR's come in three different clock speeds. Surely a store owner as yourself knows this. But this point is never brought up because ATI wasnt a big contender. Now that they are, everyone is rushing out to point out its flaws.

How quickly everyone seems to forget that the 8500 smacked the GForce3 in it's own benchmark. 3DMark2001. A program that was written around the nVidia chipset. A program that was up until now, your default benchmark.

Now you hear the same thing. Now that the ATI is taking the lead on 3DMark2001 everyone says "It's a synthetic test, it doesnt really count" Yeah, well a month ago it was the test that everyone used and loved. It was the test that every review site agreed is industry standard in doing tests.

God I hope that when ATI gets it together they obliterate the GForce. My god I'm going to point and laugh.

ROCK ON BRO!!!!!

Pinky said:
9 times out of 10 a long thread in Video and Sound is a Nvidia / Radeon debate. And this one is no different.

If I can spare us all some hurt feelings and wasted words, let me summarize what the last 50 debates on this subject concluded:

LOL

Angry:Its not as simple as "having drivers that MAX the cards potential right off the bat" As they normally do, but only to the knowledge of the software engineers at the time, but new codes come out all the time, many of which can be implemented into the current drivers functions that use less line of code and less RAM to execute the function to begin with, hence the ability to upgrade and improve performance from hardware that physically stays constant. You should ask your computer teacher about this, Im sure he can explain it to you in much better terms than I am capable of.:D

Email me if you want info on my store.:D

ATI just redid their naming system the 7200 is the same as a 64ddr VIVO and the 7000 is the VE....

Argument?? No arguments here, I'm just correcting all of you brainwashed kiddies who think that a canuck product is even remotely as good as a superior American made product built "ford tough"!

Here is one last article for the folks who made the wrong decision getting an ATI product. Maybe you folks will learn and lay off the beer and pot until AFTER you make a purchase!:D

http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?review=radeon8500&page=1&mscssid=&tp=

Kingslayer: Noticed your wife has great taste just like me! Give her my email addy when she realized how inferior you and your "tastes" are! Never unzip your "floppy file" lest u have something worth showing!:D :p

Last edited:
I just checked

7000 is 32mb DDR

7200 is 64mb SDR

Both are still using the original Radeon core.

Ritteri&Bubbles said:
Argument?? No arguments here, I'm just correcting all of you brainwashed kiddies who think that a canuck product is even remotely as good as a superior American made product built "ford tough"!

Here is one last article for the folks who made the wrong decision getting an ATI product. Maybe you folks will learn and lay off the beer and pot until AFTER you make a purchase!:D

http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?review=radeon8500&page=1&mscssid=&tp=

the only thing that i dont like about nvidia is that there are too many features for me to screw with that make my games look like crap and not gain any speed:rolleyes: .....i finally resolved stability probs (ithink) by dling the drivers straight from powercolor.....while i have pride in America i dont think its right to deride canadians or their products.....as for the 8500 at this point i wouldnt buy it, i wouldnt but a Ti either, id probly only buy after a year or so when according to you the 8500 may live up to some of its potential....also i would like to point out that noone in this thread except for the person who started it has actually bought the 8500 so they have no purchase to back up.....hmmm i think thats my last post on this topic.....remember when it all comes down to it its just hardware.....im not trying to flame or insult you just putting my thoughts out there....

Back