• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing GPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can have hashrate distributed between two pools using a flag in the conf or bat...but not a card dedicated to each pool unless you run two miner instances.
Cgwatcher is easy to use and pretty cool :p

I couldn't figure out how to get cgwatcher to see 2 instances of cgminer. I have a 7970 that likes 2 theads and a 7950 that needs one thread in the same machine. I couldn't figure it out and have been running the 7970 with only one thread.

I couldn't figure out how to get cgwatcher to see 2 instances of cgminer. I have a 7970 that likes 2 theads and a 7950 that needs one thread in the same machine. I couldn't figure it out and have been running the 7970 with only one thread.

there is a way to setup cgminer with one instance, and two different settings for the cards.
im not 100% sure on how that works, i gotta figure that out myself shortly here too, i'll let you know if i figure it out before someone else pitches in on that.

I have different settings for the gpus in cgminer, but gpu threads cannot be different. (was my understanding anyways)

you can have everything else different, i dont see why you would need to have that the same. and if you cant do it with the bat file, surely theres a way to do it via config files, but i have never used config files, so im not too sure.

It's on my main system in the sig. I just added it to the 4th slot of the mobo (third slot didn't give any room for the 290X to breathe).

9k6xiKZ.png - I know this isn't the pic thread :p

I'm going to try dropping the clocks down when I get home. I looked at my stats on middlecoin and the PC is frozen again.

you can have everything else different, i dont see why you would need to have that the same. and if you cant do it with the bat file, surely theres a way to do it via config files, but i have never used config files, so im not too sure.

cgwatcher has an easy config editor, use it, and put threads separated by commas.

gpu-threads 1,2

i don't think different thread counts are compatible with cgminer. I have no problem working config files, it just has never worked if you put multiple thread count values in one config.
Perhaps I need a newer cgminer. Can anyone confirm this?

i don't think different thread counts are compatible with cgminer. I have no problem working config files, it just has never worked if you put multiple thread count values in one config.
Perhaps I need a newer cgminer. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm telling you, you can use different thread counts...since cgminer 1.0 xD

Try cgwatcher conf editor. Separate values with ,. You'll need 1,2 or 2,1 depending on the order of the devices in cgminer.

It has been a few weeks since I was working on this, but I have tried.
Since cgminer won't allow you to configure different thread counts per card you'll need to run multiple instances.
http://www.thecoinrush.com/frequently-asked-questions

Afaik it's not possible(achieve max khs for 7950+7970) with single instance of cgminer, cause -g is global parameter, however 7970 requires 2 and 7950 - 1.
But you can try launch two separate instances, look into "-d" option and "--remove-disabled".

Tho, if -g is not the issue and you are using 1 for both 7950 and 7970, then set TC manually, find your working .bin files and look for TC, f.e. - scrypt130511Tahitiglg2tc46080w256l4.bin -- TC=46080
post #2 https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=6640.0
Although in that last link there is a possible solution that I haven't seen before.
Give this a go:

cgminer doesn't support different gpu-threads per cards. The number of threads is set in driver-opencl.c, ~ line 1267-1269 . You can write something like

if (0 == i) // i - gpu number
cgpu->threads = 1;
else if (1 == i)
cgpu->threads = 2;

This is a bad practice to patch code like this but it's takes 3 minutes to fix

The above finding is not my own but seems to work.

Have the two cards running now in separate instances. Need to re-tweak the 290 as the khs dropped down to around 860 from 910-920. I have the 7950 running at 545khs as well, want to get that above/near 600.

Just finished some more tweaking: 980 Core 1140 Mem @ 1.25 Volts now gets me 285 Kh/s with -i 19!

Yessssss :thup:

It seems that everyone who has owned a 6850 regularly ran it at 1.25 volts, and I haven't read any reports of it burning up at that voltage so I'll run it at these speeds for a while. :)

Have the two cards running now in separate instances. Need to re-tweak the 290 as the khs dropped down to around 860 from 910-920. I have the 7950 running at 545khs as well, want to get that above/near 600.

How did you get 2 separate instances of cgminer working?

I'm also trying to run a 7970 with 2 gpu threads and a 7950 with 1 gpu thread.

Made a separate cgminer directory and used a bat file to load the 7950 conf file while cgwatcher takes care of the 290. Had to load cgwatcher first or else the 7950 takes over it appears

Made a separate cgminer directory and used a bat file to load the 7950 conf file while cgwatcher takes care of the 290. Had to load cgwatcher first or else the 7950 takes over it appears

I did the separate directory and batch files, but ran into that issue as well. I used "-d" and "--remove-disabled" parameters in the command lines. The first batch file starts the 7970 with 2 gpu threads; perfect. However, the 7950 batch file overwrites the 7970 clocks when it is started. I can manually change the 7970 settings back, but there should be a better way. Maybe cgwatcher is the solution.

It's an improvement though. The 7970 is now at 720Kh/s with 2 gpu threads compared to 680Kh/s using 1 gpu thread and the gpu temp stayed the same.

Guys, you can have different thread count in the conf!

Like I said, I tried and could not get it to work.

To use separate instances of cgminer you have to select device in conf. And then disable the other device. In the second conf file you select the other device and disable the first.

Edit: I have used the conf editor in cgwatcher too, it won't write a conf with multiple values for the GPU threads.

Last edited:
Back