• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heads up! Wanna build a miner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Haha, its only 5 :D Will be replacing the 5870 and 6950 soon with 2x 7950 cards.

7950's pump out fairly decent heat as well. When I had two going, it kept my computer room warmer than the rest of the house (when it's typically the coldest because there's 10 old single pane windows in that room).

I'm going to be running 2 dedicated rigs in my basement come summer. I have 4 7870 XT's coming my way. There will be 3 XT's in one rig, and the other XT along with my 7950 in the second rig all going 24/7. That way I only have the cool running 7850's in my computer room in my main PC and wife's PC when it gets hot out. Also I can crank the fans and let them run cooler since I won't be able to hear it anyway.

Just FYI, make sure you get 7950's based on the 7970 PCB....the voltage is MUCH lower on them so they run cooler and consume way less power. On my current 7950, I run it at .963v and 1000/1500 clocks and it takes 220w getting ~610kh/s. The other 7950 that I sold was a true 7950, 1.225 stock voltage. Ran about 10c hotter, and at 900/1500 clocks 1.120v it consumed 275w getting 550kh/s.

Last edited:
7950's pump out fairly decent heat as well. When I had two going, it kept my computer room warmer than the rest of the house (when it's typically the coldest because there's 10 old single pane windows in that room).

I'm going to be running 2 dedicated rigs in my basement come summer. I have 4 7870 XT's coming my way. There will be 3 XT's in one rig, and the other XT along with my 7950 in the second rig all going 24/7. That way I only have the cool running 7850's in my computer room in my main PC and wife's PC when it gets hot out. Also I can crank the fans and let them run cooler since I won't be able to hear it anyway.

Just FYI, make sure you get 7950's based on the 7970 PCB....the voltage is MUCH lower on them so they run cooler and consume way less power. On my current 7950, I run it at .963v and 1000/1500 clocks and it takes 220w getting ~610kh/s. The other 7950 that I sold was a true 7950, 1.225 stock voltage. Ran about 10c hotter, and at 900/1500 clocks 1.120v it consumed 275w getting 550kh/s.

try the .57 ram to core trick it gave me a pretty big boost on my 280x from 550 to 680-710kh/s.

i have my core a 995 and ram at 1750 which runs slightly better if not the same as 1000/1750 but was waaay faster than 1100/1800.

try the .57 ram to core trick it gave me a pretty big boost on my 280x from 550 to 680-710kh/s.

i have my core a 995 and ram at 1750 which runs slightly better if not the same as 1000/1750 but was waaay faster than 1100/1800.

Didn't work for me. I actually had a slight decrease at 995/1750.

I have a Stilt modded bios, he told me that it's optimized for 1500 clockspeed on the ram. Maybe that's why.

I don't think 615 kH/s is bad at 1000/1500 for a 7950, I would expect a 280x to be 80-100 kH higher at the same clocks (well, 250 higher on the ram).

ah, yea i tried the stilt modded bios and it didnt do anything :\ then again i didnt try 1500 ram.
and yea most of them are higher than mine they are normally 700-780 depending. but i really got the card for gaming, it just mines in the off time to offset the cost. and i have the elpida ram.

i might try to flash it again and use 1500 mem and see what happens. man these cards are so finicky lol

edit again... idk why i keep thinking 280x is the same as 7950 not 7970 smh.

Well you just have to find the perfect clocks for the stilt bios.

With the stock bios, at 900/1500 clocks, I would only get 525 kH. At 1000/1500 I would get 550kh. With the stilt bios, at 900/1500 I only gained 25kh and it ran 550. But at 1000/1500 was the largest gain of 65kh.

Yeah a 280x is a 7970 essentially :)

Just a bump for #3 of first post. I got my box fan yesterday from overstock and I am starting to prepare my rigs for warm weather relocation. Plan ahead before you are sweating your balls off.

:shock:

On that subject for those of you with large setups and variable power rates (ie your rate doubles during daylight) you can get cooling devices like THIS that freeze water durring the off peak hours and then use that to cool during peak hours. If your temperature drops much at night you can also switch to venting and using outside air instead of cooling. I know that these technologies are used with building systems to be more efficient typically on a large scale, but it could easily be applied to large mining environments as well.

Now that I've typed all of this I realize this thread is probably not the place to put it, but alas here it will stay.

On that subject for those of you with large setups and variable power rates (ie your rate doubles during daylight) you can get cooling devices like THIS that freeze water durring the off peak hours and then use that to cool during peak hours. If your temperature drops much at night you can also switch to venting and using outside air instead of cooling. I know that these technologies are used with building systems to be more efficient typically on a large scale, but it could easily be applied to large mining environments as well.

Now that I've typed all of this I realize this thread is probably not the place to put it, but alas here it will stay.

Most people have a nice cool basement right? :)
Although, that sounds cool but how much $$$?

The basement is where my rig will end up if my cards go above 80C in the summer.

Just a bump for #3 of first post. I got my box fan yesterday from overstock and I am starting to prepare my rigs for warm weather relocation. Plan ahead before you are sweating your balls off.

:shock:

Yup, I just set up my rack today with risers and cards seperated and got a few going in the basement now. Just a couple days in the 50's Fahrenheit here and I could tell already that it was going to get WAY to hot in the room plus my cards started bumping up into the 80's Celsius which I don't like.
Now temps are back into the 20's F and my room is cold lol. Damn weather swings.

They aren't cheap I know that much. Depends on where you live, around here yes, lots of basements, other parts not so much.

It would only be useful for large scale setups. If you seal off the basement you could totally cool it with outside air and keep the rest of your house at a normal temperature though.

That would probably only work well for those of us who don't have a 100+ Deg outside temp though.

Back