• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No maintenance cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghostcustoms

Looking at building a new system for someone who doesn't open the side of a case. I would like to use a HDT 1283 but don't know how well it will work loaded with dust in the long run.

Looking at a Q6600+Antec 300 or coolmaster case.

I would personally try to convince this person that at least SOME routine maitenece is a must.... this should actually be the case with like dell/hp and such.. but they probably just figure let it heat up till it dies so they buy new ones.

No heatsink will work well with dust.

maintenence is compulsory for a working system.

I understand but still looking whether or not hdt 1283 will suffice, looking at about 1 yer between cleanings? Is there a better option for dirty long term air cooling?

It depends. If they have a mildly clean house, it should live for a year between cleanings. If theyre a smoker and have 7 cats, then in a month, it'll be a hellhole of hair.

It depends. If they have a mildly clean house, it should live for a year between cleanings. If theyre a smoker and have 7 cats, then in a month, it'll be a hellhole of hair.

3 cats...

If I give a 5c cushion/lower over clock I should be fine correct?

Personally, Id just run some filters on the air intakes. The lower airflow wont matter to someone who wont open their case, and they can clean out the fur without opening said case.

Look into a passive style cooler. Something like a passive TRUE or Oorchi (sp) the scythe one. This coupled with say the nine hundred's good air flow could yield an OC-able passive HS. The amount of air flow almost defeats the purpose though, so something with less fans at stock clocks could suffice. You make the call based on the person's performance needs. Either way I think a fanless CPU HS is the way to go.

If the case has the airflow, I would suggest the TR HR-01 Plus running in passive configuration; this is assuming that the individual is running stock speeds, the TR will handle the Q6600 easily with no fan.

bryan d

Look into a passive style cooler. Something like a passive TRUE or Oorchi (sp) the scythe one. This coupled with say the nine hundred's good air flow could yield an OC-able passive HS. The amount of air flow almost defeats the purpose though, so something with less fans at stock clocks could suffice. You make the call based on the person's performance needs. Either way I think a fanless CPU HS is the way to go.
The TRUE is pretty horrible passive, I really wouldn't recommend it. The Orochi on the other hand is VERY good at passive.

I actually wrote a review on that very heatsink, you can find it here:

http://www.overclockerspulse.com/cooling-reviews/scythe-orochi-review/

Running a system stock should not require cleaning. TONS of people buy a computer, set it on the floor and 10 years later unmoved its still running. Maybe a modern system could use a good cleaning every now and then but I bet if you just build a normal non overclocked computer it will be fine without cleaning.

^^^ yup, if anything a can of air on the outside inlets now and then to make sure some air can get in.

Dell and OEM's likely plan for this.. why they can last a long time with alot of abuse

Back