• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to disable Win7 usage of Volume keys on multimedia keyboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I have a USB-UIRT and a Logitech Wave keyboard with multimedia keys that I am currently using (trying to at least) to control my receiver. Because its using the 7.1 inputs from my X-Fi card, the only functions I need on the receiver is the volume and power.

I first tried Girder and it worked as I needed it to. I remapped the Gadget key and Volume keys (Volume Up and Volume Down) within Logitechs own software first to work as generic keys. Afaik, this allows the keys to act as generic HID keys that were recognized by Girder and I was able to use them as the On/OFF control and Volume control for the receiver.

However, Girder cost $50 (the cheapest version) which is too expensive for just 3 functions, and was highly unstable (constantly locking up or stopped responding).

I've since been trying EventGhost and I have it working fine. However, unlike Girder, the OS (Win7 64) still sees the volume keys and changes the master volume within Windows. I do not know why it was not like that in Girder (maybe it was capturing the key press and not allow the OS to see it?), but this makes it impossible for me to use as it is right now.

I tried within Logitechs own software to change the function of the key to others (combination's, other unused keys [F13-F16]) and nothing other then the Generic keys function worked within EventGhost (none of those other settings were "seen" by EventGhost). Unfortunately, I cannot remove the Logitech drivers as my mouse uses the same drivers as well, so that is out of the question.

All I would like to do is disable the OS responding to the Volume key press, so that the master volume stays at a fixed setting. Any idea how to do this?

[edit]
After hours of continuing to search for a solution, the answer was right under my nose. I added an extra event to the Volume Down action, which is for EventGhost to set the master Windows volume to 100%. This fixes the problem, so all is good now.
[/edit]

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the solution to your original problem, it often helps people who get here in the future using search engines.

It's more a round about solution to the problem. The problem still exists; EventGhost is not capturing the key press, its merely reading the key press and still allowing the OS to see it as well. I simply added an extra event to force the setting I want, so every time I press the volume down button, the OS still reduces the volume by 3%, but now EventGhost sends another event afterward to reset the volume back to 100%.

I would rather (for this situation) have EventGhost capture the event and prevent the OS from even seeing it in the first place. I don't need any other programs reacting to the volume control (which reminds me, I gotta try other programs now too to see if they change settings as well :rain: )

Back