• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

h100i high temps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slynutcase

my system is in my sig, but i have had a h100i installed for a couple of months, i had to get it replaced as my first one developed a problem with its pump :(
to start with i wasnt blown away by the results at all, i was hitting 90 on a couple of cores within 5 min of prime blend..
i have tried the fans in push or pull, makes no difference, i have reseated it many times, and clean it and the cpu thoroughly each time i do.

i have good airflow in the case with 3x 120 fans pulling air in running at various speeds, and the 2 fans on the h100i exhausting out the top.

i haven't replaced it again because it doesn't seem like there is a problem other than it wont cool my i5 very well at all..
iv actually gone back to stock clocks for now because it still gets up to 65 temps on stock playing games..

i must say.. so far my experiance with these AIO solutions is there really not worth it..

hopefully someone can try and shed some light as to what might be up..

sly, taking into account where you live, I'm assuming your ambient temperature isn't that high. Maybe try running the stock fan at stock clocks to see what the temps are while playing games. If the temps are the same then maybe there is something wrong with the H100i. If they are higher, then either you just have a chip that runs hot or you need to re-apply the tim you used between the die and IHS when you delidded it? Some of these Ivy/Haswell chips just run HOT! My 4770k does, I've compared mine to another person I know and mine runs significantly hotter somewhere around 10-12c at lower volts then his with everything cooling it being equal.

I agree with Mandrake,

then either you just have a chip that runs hot or you need to re-apply the tim you used between the die and IHS when you delidded it?

a 100i should handle the average i5 at 4.4 with ease. I've used the 80i on a i5 with good temps and it's just a single 120. Maybe you didn't do well in the silicone lottery.

Are you sure it is making good contact with the die? Delidding changes the height of things... you you may need a washer or something for more pressure?

What TIM did you use for the delid?
What speed is the H100i running?

thanks for the reply's
i clean and reapply ic diamond to the chip+ihs and to the ihs+cooler, each time i reseat.. just to make sure its done properly,

yes being in the Uk, my ambient temps are around 18-20c,

the cooler i had on before the h100i was the arctic cooling freezer 13 pro a 120mm air cooler similar to the 212.. temps were fine back then,
in the morning im going to swap back to that and possibly swap to the stock cooler aswell just to test both angles,

i took into account that delidding shaves a small ammount of hight from the cpu.. but the h100i is still making solid contact with the chip..

i have tried running the fans at all speeds from min to max and on the default setting, doesnt make a huge ammount of difference..
just what you would expect with the higher fan speeds being a few c cooler.

forgot to add, i got some corsair SP120 performance edition, to see if it would help at all.. it did.. but only with noise :/

Last edited:
ill see what tomorrow brings when i try the other coolers.. and ill double check the tension of the h100i aswell,
kind of hoping iv had one of my idiot moments and not done something right..
ill try the h100i in my spare rig aswell see what that brings.. thanks for your time folks.. fingers crossed. :)

My h100 cools my 4670k at 4.4 with ease I only hit 63c under full load (p95) for six hours. I would bet you have poor contact with h100 or the delid change the height of his.

ok breakthrough!

the cpu block of the h100i was not putting enough pressure on the cpu,
it seemed like it was tight on there and the tim was always nicely spread out,
but the addition of 4 small washers between the thumb screws and the hold
down plate of the cpu block seem to have sorted things,
temps back under controll, and sitting in the mid 60's at 4.4ghz with 1.28v in bios and 1.272v reported...

thanks for pointing out the obvious guys.. :thup:

Last edited:
Back