• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help thiddy build a computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like the system is stable. 90 runs of LinX, 13900 MiB of memory usage, 21 hours of constant abuse, and no calculation errors. Max temps peaked at 86c on the hottest core with 29c+ ambient temperatures. Whoever said that Ivy Bridge ran hot was absolutely right.

4.6_stable.png

Next on my list is to get Arch Linux working with UEFI, but all their wiki pages are horrid at explaining how you do this on a clean install. After that, I need to work on the internals of the case and get it all pretty looking.

That is also with severely undervolted fans, a high ambient temperature, and a very stressful program.

So, there is a bug with new IB chips in my Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H where it randomly locks up, regardless of any setting in the BIOS. It will do it at POST, in the BIOS, at the drive selection screen, while installing an OS, etc. You get the point. Whenever it feels like it.

Now, there seems to be an update that addresses this issue (which simply states "compatibility updates"), which may fix my problem. Issue is, it locks up whenever it feels like, which can include during the flash. I downloaded the file onto my flash drive and plugged it into the desktop. As soon as I go to select the file, it locks up. I restart and try again, and it goes through incredibly slow - around 1 second per percent. That may not seem like much, but when it was randomly locking up every 10 seconds or so, that is forever.

Hope this update fixes it or this board is getting returned. Seriously.

They had access to IB chips to make sure they work before the board was released, there is no excuse for the large number of people running into crashes/freezes/power offs with this board. Completely unacceptable.

I have no idea on numbers, but there are a lot of people complaining about it and it was happening on my system. The F7 BIOS update seems to have completely fixed the issue. I haven't had a lockup since.

I got Arch Linux installed as UEFI after many many many (many) hours of reinstalling and reading tons of guides. I'm going to be posting a how-to shortly that explains how to do this as I don't want anyone else to go through the pain that I had to.

Now, I just need to get my Linux install configured from scratch and completely reinstall Windows from scratch. Then, I need to download Diablo III for my day off on Tuesday.

I like the difference between Linux and Windows updates.

Linux:
pacman -Syu
<restart once if kernel updated>
Finished in a minute or two.

Windows:
Update
<restart>
<restart again>
More updates
<restart again>
Install SP1 for W7
<restart again>
<restart again>
<restart again>
<takes 20+ minutes to start and log in>
More updates
<restart again>
<restart again>
Finished in hours. Yes, that is really the order that it took. I have no idea why three restarts are required for a service pack to install or why two restarts are needed for certain updates. I was also weaving in driver updates that required restarts to minimize the number of restarts I actually had to do.

Uh, ok Windows, you keep doing that good job people keep bragging about. :eh?:

I like the difference between Linux and Windows updates.

Linux:
pacman -Syu
<restart once if kernel updated>
Finished in a minute or two.

Windows:
Update
<restart>
<restart again>
More updates
<restart again>
Install SP1 for W7
<restart again>
<restart again>
<restart again>
<takes 20+ minutes to start and log in>
More updates
<restart again>
<restart again>
Finished in hours. Yes, that is really the order that it took. I have no idea why three restarts are required for a service pack to install or why two restarts are needed for certain updates. I was also weaving in driver updates that required restarts to minimize the number of restarts I actually had to do.

Uh, ok Windows, you keep doing that good job people keep bragging about. :eh?:

It's b/c you're installing the service pack from a clean install...meaning that Windows has tons of update sequences. I think you could have just downloaded SP1 off the website and saved yourself the hassle. IMO, it's worth it - just one of those OS-install problems/hassles that you have to go through (like downloading drivers, setting preferences, etc.)

I don't really see that as a valid explanation why three restarts are required to update to SP1. It really isn't worth it. The only reason I even have Windows is for school stuff that "requires" it and some games. Otherwise, I'd just get rid of it completely.

I can jump months of updates in Linux with a single restart without issue, which is a large change in the kernel version.

I don't want to get into a Linux vs Windows debate in here. My post was mainly a joke because I was bored as hell waiting for it to update.

Well, it looks like a sound card is back on the table. I'm not impressed with the sound in Windows and it is not detected by ALSA or OSS in Linux.

I got my Auzentech Prelude (Creative X-Fi) working in Arch Linux, but do not ask me how I did it. Seriously. I have no idea how I did it.

I'm still looking for a replacement, but if this is what I have to live with, whatever. I need a card that easily works in Linux with minimal configuration (meaning it works with ALSA natively).

Back