• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no leaks and temps way high

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a1cnolan

i just setup my watercooler and i cannot figure why its getting so hot. i used artic silver. im supposing it may be the way i attached it to the board. i got these 5lb springs from ace hardware but they are like really long. i got them over the scre but it still isn't cooling. i can't even tell when they are closed to compressed cause they start t double over on themselves. should i cut them down? would this mess up the constant rate on them? please help soon i thought i was done and now im not

i spent most of last night figuring it out. it was the way it was mounted. i kinda just flicked the waterblock and two of the springs readjusted thay had gotten caught up on the screw threads. that being said watercooling is fun

Proper waterblock mounting is one of the most crucial steps in putting together a WC system. A block that isn't properly seated/balanced on the die won't cool, no matter how powerful the components are.

This is why my designs always have a center-screw that points directly into the center of the die. Since there's only 1 screw to tighten the block is guaranteed to be belanced, every time.

rgwc1.jpg

I agree, I have never skipped the springs and I dont see how to get good pressure and even pressure without them....

My problem with bolts/nuts without springs or atleast lock washers is that what happens over time when the nuts and bolts loosen up?

-Toysrme

btw nice setup ronnieG, the holddown looks good, and I like the idea of a center bolt to keep the pressure even.

for all those who asked what my rig is comprised of here it is.
1)89 camaro heatercore
2)1/2" tubing
3) huge tupperware resevoir containing 3 gallongs of distilled water mixed with 4oz to a gallon of waterwetter.
4)homeade waterblock that can be found here
wb1.JPG

here
wb2.JPG

and here
wb3.JPG

i think one of the reasons i was getting such poor performance was that i hadn't lapped my waterblock since i put the two sides together. apparantly the gasket had caused some bowing of the waterblock.
it took care of that today. i also locked down my wb alot harder than i had done before.
i reconfigured my setup to include probably losing a foot and a half of tubing. i also got the pump to almost the same level as the block. i tried turning my ram timings up to turbo and apparently its not gonna work

right now i am running prime 95 torture test and it failed. it always done at turbo. ill turn it down to fastests. the highest temp i reached before failure was 32c oced to 9.5 X166.. which is pretty much my goal for now since that is where i was with air cooling. thats where i felt comfortable with air cooling. anywho ill be back with stats from turning the ram timings down some

Back