• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK, this is just weird DSL working, phone not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

OK, I just came back from a road trip and I get in the house and my landline phone has no dail tone...but my DSL is working...and they are all on the same line.
So I decided to call the house from my cell and the landline rings, but when I answer all I hear is some scratching noise, and I turn to my cell and it is still ringing, but the landline phone bells stopped....This is just plain goofey.
I have never had anything as strange as this happen with my comunication setup.
It seems the closer we get to the "digital revolution" the worse things get...notice how garbled and jittery most of the tv comercials have been lately?

I would say unhook EVERYTHING connected to the phone line...give it a minute and then reconnect. Best way it to just disconnect everything and hook a single phone and see if it works. If it does then connect things one by one until you find the problem.

+1 on possible bad filter and also could be a problem with line attenuation there is a quick test that can be done for it through either the modem or online tools ect.

Might want to check into that also.

I had a issue like this before, it was a bad phone.. I only had one phone in the house so I had to borrow one to check it out. Since the DSL worked at my house too I knew it couldnt been the line it had to been the phone.. in my instance anyway.

my guess is a bad filter or a missing filter on a phone. the filters that come on modems fitler out the very high frequencies that DSL runs on. if you dont have them on you will get that static, and possibly screeching noise.

best to use process of elimination with a known good phone and gather ALL of your filters, test them one at a time.

It could be on the telco side too. In the CO, both services plug into a diplexer that feeds your line....easy enough to have one service card fry and not another.

Just fyi incase the phones/filters turn out to be not guilty.

I believe it is on the telco side...I unplugged the main line and plugged a phone into the test jack and I still get no dial tone.
So the problem is not in my wiring... that's good to know.

At&t is working on lines all over my city, so I suspect they borked something while upgrading the system.
I also recently found out that you can get DSL without having a phone account..mandated my the government....that's good to know also.

I believe it is on the telco side...I unplugged the main line and plugged a phone into the test jack and I still get no dial tone.

At&t is working on lines all over my city, so I suspect they borked something while upgrading the system.
I also recently found out that you can get DSL without having a phone account..mandated my the government....that's good to know also.

Its most likely inside wiring if you're hearing sratchy statiky noises. While its possible they provisioned you with a dry loop (DSL only, no phone) but I doubt it since it rings. It depends on how they do it too. Here, dry loops have dialtone, however the lines my company installs that are just dry loops do not.Thats just my suspicion. It being spring its fairly common.

This is what we call naked DSL here in Australia, but the only problem when you have naked DSL is you pay for Uploads as well as Downloads, included in monthly Quota

Back