• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

who started this insanity anyway?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nick C

Registered
yeah, I've got to do a research paper on Watercooling, however no matter how I've searched, I can't find who was the first WCer... the oldest article I've seen was in 00 but I'VE been doing it that long...

anyway, does anyone know? be interesting to find out anyway

As far as I could remember it was the guy who used a coil of copper tubing and attached it to an electric fan. And it wasn't called "waterblock" then, it was "waterjacket".

As for my first watercooling experiment I epoxied the plunger from a cartridge of silicone sealant directly into my K6-2/300 (overclocked to 420) to form a crude waterjacket. I ran water directly from the tap; no pump, no radiator!!!

My first phase-change experiment involved dumping a can of butane into the K6's coldplate until it frosted. I think I managed to post it at 500 back then...

Last edited:
thankyou.

does anyone know how I could get ahold of him for an interview? I need an interview for this paper, and it's gotta be from someone with some expertise and tangible credentials. can't think of anyone better than the guy who started the whole thing ;)

does the guy exist still? lol

Water cooling... My uncle use to work for NASA at the Redstone Arseinal back in the '60s and did support for other large labs up until the '80s. They (NASA) used water cooling on a limited basis on machines that wouldn't run in airconditioned rooms. On that note, phase change, TEC, and CO2 have been in use for quite a good while also. I remember in about '92 when the Pentium's came out, it was huge news back then they even ahd to HAVE a heatsink. You could buy OEM heatsink's back them with a FAN! and a TEC in the bottom of them.

All I have in relation to the story with my uncle is my word, as he's been dead. On another note, I rmember him talking about it(and stuff like that) when I was around 10 when he came to live with us for awhile. (so we're talking about the summer of '90)

So my point is that the idea isn't all new. You're also highly unlikely to ever find the person that did it originally for the "small scale" use that we use it in today either.

-Toysrme

Well it sure as hell wasn't me!

I'm just testing out my FIRST setup. I'm liking it so far.

Eh, i don't know why i'm posting.. I'm really tired.

I'll say something useful...

Water cooling is only new to the personal computer, not computers in general. The military has been watercooling electronics for a long time now.

You can find out about it just searching google.

I had been wondering the same, if you find out, be sure to let me know!

Willis Haviland Carrier in 1902 was the person that invented the water cooler as for the person that put it onto a computer or electronic component (if that is the big Q)for direct die or just to cool the computer the first water cooled computer was in 1944 with the The Harvard Mark 1 computer. tho not direct die cooled but The 5-ton device contained almost 760,000 separate pieces. The Mark I was in operation until 1959

as for the direct die water cooled computer i cant find much more than u after about 4 hours of looking.
tho some would say that the 1st water cooled computer would be 5000 years old the "abacus" in water :D

JFettig said:
surley joe from spodesabode invented direct cie cooling...

I'm pretty sure that it was Seymour Cray (ala Cray computers) that was the first to implement direct die cooling, along with getting Flourinert made up for just such a purpose.

well, I'm looking more for the dude who brought it to PC's...

but since it's been around forever, Ill add that to the paper.

anyone want to suggest someone (here perferably) to interview?

I've got one I'm awaiting response from

Back