• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Get My Girl to Get into FPS Games..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xilix

For some reason my girlfriend is only interested in games like The Sims and City Life. She's played FPS games before but she never really got into them and she says they just don't interest her, but I KNOW if she just got the hang of playing them that she'd get hooked. I've hooked her on many things she swore she'd never like, so I know she'd get hooked on FPS games. Any suggestions on how to get her to give it a chance? I wanna LAN with her wicked bad in COD 1, 2 and 4, UT2k4, Postal 2, World in Conflict ect. ect.... She's being a real brat about it and refuses to even give it a 30 minute chance. :confused: :bang head

I thought of a few ideas I haven't tried yet.

1.) Bribe her with an GB of RAM or a cheap C2D (she's getting agitated with photoshop because she does insanely large project with her Wacom and it's slowing down her PC a little). But I'm broke ATM, so it'd take a while to get her either of these products.

2.) Keep bugging her until she goes insane.

3.) Guilt trip. I got her the Wacom tablet and she swears she doesn't know how she lived without it.

I can't think of anything else. Any suggestions? She seemed mildly interested in World in Conflict, but the fact that you don't build anything made her turn her back on it even though it looks better than City Life.

Well, for one, she needs to not suck at it. Not to stereotype, but it just seems that many girls do not get into them, and in such are not that good at them, and in such don't enjoy them. Women are normally casual gamers, A LA Sims.

the harder you try and change someone, the harder they usually try and defend themselves.
Get her to play Portal (its a first person puzzle game that is very fun)

I wish I could get my wife back into gaming. She dropped it ever since we had kids.

well, you can't FORCE her. But there are ways to try.

Like...ask her to give it a shot, because you'd like to be able to enjoy your activities with her, and it would make you happy if she could give it a shot.

that, would be the CORRECT way into tricking someone into a guilt trip.

But, some people, Even males just don't like or arn't good at FPS's.

My girlfriend plays SOME games. But she plays console games like Zelda. She just CANNOT comprehend the controls of a FPS on a console like Halo. She just doesn't have the motor skills to turn, jump and shoot at the same time. So i don't expect her to get into computer FPS's either.

But don't forget, by you trying to get her to do what you like to do, she now has the right to ask you to do something SHE likes that you may not be fully interested in either.

lmao I can't get my fiance near a computer when it comes to games... oh well just means that I waste less time on them also :-D

I do actually feel lucky that she's into gaming and PC technology, and cars too. She really enjoys driving the Mustang. I just don't have many friends and I'd like to play some games with the few people I do know. My cousin can't because he had two kids and doesn't have the time, my other friend Kenny doesn't even have a computer, and my other friend who I used to game with all the time died last April. Plus it would be awesome to LAN here in the bedroom. 0 ping owns. Doesn't get much better than LAN for me.

Thanks for the Portal suggestion. I'll try that tonight and see if she wants to give that a whirl. She loves puzzle games. I do remember her saying that the controls were an issue for her. She likes racing games because she can use the gamepad, but she HATES full on simulations and I HATE arcade racing games. Except for Hydro Thunder. That seems to be the ONLY game we both like, because that's actually how we got together. We played Hydro together at a bar and started hanging out after that. I beat her by 0.1 of a second.

I had a similar problem with my ex. She loved gaming, but only on consoles. She has a moded xbox and a Wii, but I could not get her into PC games. She would play Halo with me for hours, but refused to give UT2004 a try. Sorry I got no help for ya, just letting you know you are not alone.

Well, my recent ex just plain loved counter strike...I didnt have to do anything, she plays it al lthe time, but thats ALL she plays, she hates RPGs, hates WoW, etc etc...

My Other ex took some working with and I never really got her into it. She was always so scared of being made fun of, of not being good enough to play with the 'guys' etc etc.

I would say start her off slow, encourage her, and do NOT not make her feel like she is learning too slow. It really sucked when at a lan a few guys remarked "Hey look a girl gamer, oh she sucks nevermind" and that was the end of the day for her, she just up and left.

Oh, I WISH my wife was willing to game.
She finds almost all games to be a blatant waste of time and energy.
She's not rude or anything but asks the simple question; "what does it accomplish?"
A very practical question, an my retort is that "I find it relaxing"
Which is fine by her as long as I don't spend more time gaming than I do with her.
Which is also hard for me, as I'm only one 10-12 hours a day, and I have to work on my school work, and play with my kids, and spend time with her, and visit OCforurms, and sleep (i try to cut back on this one; egregious amounts of caffeine helps)

Date a dude...

The percentage chance of finding a date-able chick that rocks at FPS are really low. Dudes, on the other hand, are quite plentiful. If you want a partner to play with, data a dude.

start her off with something that needs a little brain, like portal, girls like puzzles.

already converted my sister into css she plays it all the time :p have to do it to them while they are young before they grow up :p

err make her play with you or something :p

physX * good idea with portal :p

These are good suggestions, but what you also want to let her know is gaming is important to you, and you enjoy it. She should want to spend time with you doing thins you enjoy. I surely went out of my way for my ex's, and they did the same for me.

On the note of games, portal without a doubt, maybe something simple and co-op like serious sam.

Back