• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 1090t 4ghz funbox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good way to test is to jump into BIOS and allow the temp to stabilise, then jump into Windows and do the same.
Have a look at your temp software and note the difference.
I know these Thubans run cool (I have one), but when CoreTemp and HWMonitor are telling me that the core temps temps are sub ambient, there is a problem.
Try it out PeevedKitten and see what you get. Better safe than sorry :)

The temps are correct, what are you talking about with sub ambient? Not a single temp I have posted has been sub ambient not even at idle. Please re-read some of my posts, the night I had 10-11c temps it was 9c outside. I also have a very high cfm fan cooling my rad. The temps and voltage readings are correct, I used a voltmeter to check the board based points. The CHIVF has probe points to read voltages etc. I did a load of testing with this system to learn about temps etc. I have been through 3 cooling set ups on it already, I'm confident the readouts are good.

As for the ht being so high please read Dolk's guide to over clocking, the section regarding thubans says they like the HT high, earlier in this thread around my 4.0 ghz mark I mentioned having to raise my ht for stability.

(absolutely 100% no offense to anyone)

I am talking about mine and many others I have seen on the net.
For instance: My ambients here are currently 25C. HWMonitor core temp readings are 18C.
How is that possible?
I am not having a go at you and saying you are misrepresenting your results, so I am sorry if you interpreted my comments that way. I raised the point just so you were aware of the problem that I and many others have with false temp readings.
Low temps.png
There has to be a question mark remaining against the veracity of the core temp reading.

Temps here are a bit weird. I live near the ocean on a creek bed. Temps regularly drop under 7~c. I have a media room set up in the garage, I'm weird I like to pile blankets up in my chair and freeze the place pretty much. It all works out, the wife comes out to play xbox and cuddle :D

hwmonitortemp.jpg

The listed temp is 14c my probe at my desk says 9c.

Unless you have very good case airflow the CPU temp will likely read higher with water cooling. There used to be a fan right above the CPU to mix the air up in that region of the case - what's there now?

There is a 24C difference between the core temp and the cpu temp on Peevedkitten's setup.
It is 7C on mine with no fan blowing on the board.

I have the HAF932 (is it 230mm or 250mm) side case fan blowing on the Mobo, the front fan blowing air in over the hard drives, the top fan exhausting same as the 140mm rear fan.

Which is exactly the opposite to how quietice has explained it should be. I agree with what he says, but it certainly is not the case here.
Very strange.

My 1090t has been currently idling overnight with CnQ. Room temp is 20.9c gained from an external temp sensor.

Speed = 931 MHz

CPU Multiplier = 4x
CPU FSH = 233 MHz
CPU Voltage = 1.27v

Core temp = 23c
CPU temp = 40c (17c difference)
GPU temp = 33c
NB temp = 55c
SB temp = 48c
Motherboard temp = 42c
Prope attached to pump = 30c

I have had my cores reading as low as 17c at boot up before. Same motherboard, same chip - I personally don't trust core temps as my yardstick for measuring how much headroom I have - I personally ensure CPU temp is under 62c (57c if totally honest) as my goal for cooling.

My 1090t has been currently idling overnight with CnQ. Room temp is 20.9c gained from an external temp sensor.

Speed = 931 MHz

CPU Multiplier = 4x
CPU FSH = 233 MHz
CPU Voltage = 1.27v

Core temp = 23c
CPU temp = 40c (17c difference)
GPU temp = 33c
NB temp = 55c
SB temp = 48c
Motherboard temp = 42c
Prope attached to pump = 30c

I have had my cores reading as low as 17c at boot up before. Same motherboard, same chip - I personally don't trust core temps as my yardstick for measuring how much headroom I have - I personally ensure CPU temp is under 62c (57c if totally honest) as my goal for cooling.

I'm comfortable using the core temps as my guide. The CPU sensor always seems abnormally high. IE i just booted my system i checked the temp in the BIOS, it read 20c I booted into windows loaded HW monitor and Probe II, both were more than 10c higher than the bios temp, and I know with my case airflow and WC that is just not right. No way when it's 18c that this chip is running 34c idle with this much cooling on it :)

The core temp is what the thermal shutdown is based on, it's what i'd go by.
Typically the higher the temps get the more accurate the sensor becomes.

The core temp is what the thermal shutdown is based on, it's what i'd go by.
Typically the higher the temps get the more accurate the sensor becomes.

It's odd because it seems to scale. The core temp rises say 14c and the socket temp might raise 3-6c which puts them closer.

Turned my pc on tonight - room temp was only 19c, core temp showed 13c for a while.

I think we have to agree to disagree

Not all boards are the same nor do they all read the same. I've seen guys take a Phenom II from an ASUS board, where it was obviously reading the wrong core temp, then drop it in a Gigabyte board and have everything look fine. I have no idea why some boards have problems relaying the core temp correctly but it happens.

For a long time boards wouldn't read the core temp on unlocked CPU's. It usually showed 0°C or a negative number or some other patently ridiculous reading. Now all of a sudden I've seen two of them in the last week that seem to be showing a good core temp even with unlocked cores. I doubt AMD considered this a major issue so I'd guess the change wasn't on their end ... :shrug:

It's a pity AMD don't give us a maximum "core" temp, as this is what seems to be the best to use, as no mathematics involved in it's value.

Maybe that is why at about 57+ it becomes unstable?

I know with my board/CPU (same as peeved kitten) at 55c CPU, my core is only 42c, so both well below 62c.

In reality in my case temps aren't the issue, as I am trying to keep the system quiet, and at 3.8/4.3 or even just 3.7/4.1 (the motherboards auto overclock) the system runs nice and fast but also silent(ish).

It's a pity AMD don't give us a maximum "core" temp, as this is what seems to be the best to use, as no mathematics involved in it's value.
They do and it's called "Tctl" by AMD. You just have to use the reference materials provided by AMD, specifically, AMD Publication #43375 covers most processors.

The last two versions of CoreTemp include a "Tjmax" (CoreTemp's label) for AMD CPU's, which seems to be the same as the Tctl values published by AMD. Of course, CoreTemp reads that value right off the CPU so you don't need the AMD publication ... :)

Mine says 79C for the Tj. Max. Little high?
Regarding these differences, I have attached an AMD overdrive capture showing my CPU core temps and my board temps. To be honest I don't know what TMPINx refers to, I assume it's some mobo sensors.
This is after 100% load on all cores (running BOINC) for about 4 or 5 hours.

Attachments

• amd-temp-load.png
    amd-temp-load.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 241
Back