• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD and Ubuntu/Debian

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nechen

I'm not sure if I need this post in here, or in the CPU section but here goes.

I've been bouncing back and force between Fedora and Debian and decided that all in all, I prefer Kubuntu for various personal reasons and from what other OCF'ers have informed of, stability...

That being said I'm contemplating building a secondary machine with RAID (Stripe) for practical uses including work, documents, and various other light uses.

So here's where I'm at right now...I originally had my eyes on two different processors. The low-profile Llanos (While lacking L3 cache, seem very cheap and the clock/frequencies don't look half back) and the Bulldozers.

Llano opinions seem mixed but the most recent reviews I've found of Bulldozer speak of horrdenous performance issues, mobo issues (in some cases where users had to find a Phenom so they could actually boot and flash the BIOS to support the new Bulldozer chip) and many other quarks.

So with that being said I'm asking if anyone here in the AltOS world can recommend a good AMD setup. I've also looked at the Phenoms and they seem like the safest bet right now so I'm not sure. I haven't messed around with AMD's since my old 1.8Ghz Athlon...

Llano seems perfect for that, it has a decent amount of processing power and quite good integrated graphics, but is still pretty cheap.

If you aren't rendering or doing serious number crunching the CPU doesn't make much of a difference, same for 3d and the GPU.

What you're describing is pretty much the market Llano is aimed directly at, really.

That's what I was hoping to hear :)

I've heard mixed responses to ATI Linux drivers. Any idea how well they do or don't work? Only thing I need is the Kwin effects :)

I haven't had any issues with them since... 2009?
The exception being a slow frame rate with stretchy windows effect, which was easily solvable.

Check my rig. I also hesitated between Llano and Bulldozer but after I did the math the difference was about $100 between top-of-the-line and Meh.
I did not regret going with Bulldozer. It runs like greased lightning.

Check my rig. I also hesitated between Llano and Bulldozer but after I did the math the difference was about $100 between top-of-the-line and Meh.
I did not regret going with Bulldozer. It runs like greased lightning.

I don't doubt that but someone here did a bench and the BD @ 4.6Ghz+ performs the same as a Phenom @ 4.1Ghz ???

Back