• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED How much GDDR do I need to run my game?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just ran the Farcry 2 small ranch benchmark at 1080p, memory usage peaked at 858MB.
Thanks freakdiablo! Just to confirm, all settings maxed?

Awesome

I've seen Skyrim with mods at 1920x1200 at a little over 2GB before. I think it was around 2200MB.

Also, I'll add that X-Plane commonly hits 2400MB at 1920x1200.
If you know of what mods were applied to get those kind of results, please let me know! Tried repeatedly and wasn't able to get to 2gb at that res.

Haven't tried X-Plane but see there's a demo (can't wait to see what that's like using a keyboard/mouse hehe). Are those your results? Were all video settings maxed? Just so we're consistent...could you run a log file with msi afterburner then post your max memory usage?

Call of Duty 2.

All settings maxed.

Screen Resolution: 1600x900.

Max memory usage: 412mB.

20 minutes walkthrough from clicking start.

Thanks freakdiablo! Just to confirm, all settings maxed?

Awesome

If you know of what mods were applied to get those kind of results, please let me know! Tried repeatedly and wasn't able to get to 2gb at that res.

Haven't tried X-Plane but see there's a demo (can't wait to see what that's like using a keyboard/mouse hehe). Are those your results? Were all video settings maxed? Just so we're consistent...could you run a log file with msi afterburner then post your max memory usage?

Thanks. Will add over the weekend (if not sooner).

At 5760x1080 with just desktop (and icons)...445.2MB max
Ok. I'm at around 300-400MB with browser and a few things open. Drops down to around 200Mb when I close everything.

BF3 campaign, 1920X1080 on ultra maxed at around 1550Mb,which is more then you had, which is why I was wondering.

I'll test a bunch of games and post the results back here soon.

BF3 campaign, 1920X1080 on ultra maxed at around 1550Mb,which is more then you had, which is why I was wondering.

I'll test a bunch of games and post the results back here soon.
Could be a difference in scene played? Did you stop after me? Not quite sure...I ran it twice. I'll update the results using your higher usage number.

Could be a difference in scene played? Did you stop after me? Not quite sure...I ran it twice. I'll update the results using your higher usage number.

Not sure where you stopped when you say balcony.
I played through the train, then when the next scene loaded where you're riding in the truck, I played a few more minutes up to where you get ambushed.

The only bad thing about this thread is it makes my 1.5GB 580s seem so inadequate :rofl:

The only bad thing about this thread is it makes my 1.5GB 580s seem so inadequate :rofl:
Sad but true :( Although...the 580's almost 2 years old (my 570's still decent for most games, though (at 1080p)).

Medal of Honor Warfighter.

1600x900, Max settings, Motion Blur off.

Maximum memory usage: 1004mB.
Thanks Amnesiac. Will add it over the weekend.

Updated listing to reflect addition of Sniper Elite and Far Cry 2 (including 3d vision results) and test results from notJUSTguitar's (1080p BF3,campaign), Amnesiac and freakdiablo (update- ran another round of 1080p testing and came out with higher gddr usage so went with the higher figure). Added the first 3d vision test results (Sniper Elite and Far Cry 2) to listing. Also updated chart to reflect Sniper Elite and notJUSTguitar's higher gddr usage on BF3. Update- Added the 1080 data in table form for Janus67.

Check out the Sniper Elite results...3055MB @ 5760x1080 and with 3d vision the results are crazy with 2.4GB and 4.1GB at 1920x1080 and 5760x108, respectively. Geeez. Will run some other 3d vision tests. Am hoping the +450MB (1080p difference b/w 3d vision off and on) / 1GB difference (5760x1080) aren't more or less constant across games. Update- Far Cry 2 at 1080p...the delta b/w 3d vision off/on is ~400MB. The 5760x1080 delta (~440MB) is only at 2x AA (with 3d vision on AA is forced to 2x) so if the full 8x were allowed, am sure it'd be a bit higher...no idea how much, though. Based on only 2 games...initial hypothesis is that 3d vision surround at 1080p adds a bit more than 400MB to the gddr usage. Definitely did not expect these results :/

Last edited:
Great idea and thread. I like how you supplied the graph/chart and a list that are both easy to read and understand. Thank you.

I do think there should be as much data as possible even with overlapping game titles. This would greatly help find the average GDDR a game uses across different peoples builds.

Maybe I am being selfish in wanting more data just because I run an older system then most. I am always trying to figure out how my current computer setup would handle eyefinity of ~4480x1080 resolution (2x 1280x1024 and 1920x1080). 7850 2GB vs 7950 3GB.

I agree with you when you talk about how 1080 was somewhat of a backwards movement in terms of pc displays. It is great since it is the standard worldwide. This allows for for less resizing between different displays and therefore less diminished video quality due to the resizing. I am excited for the 4k screens to come out, even if I can't afford them. I just hope manufactures will pair them with quality contrast and the such.

Great chart, would love to see it in a table format eventually :)

I PMed IMOG to see if we can [Feature] this thread for you :)

Great idea and thread. I like how you supplied the graph/chart and a list that are both easy to read and understand. Thank you.
You're very welcome!

I do think there should be as much data as possible even with overlapping game titles. This would greatly help find the average GDDR a game uses across different peoples builds.

Maybe I am being selfish in wanting more data just because I run an older system then most. I am always trying to figure out how my current computer setup would handle eyefinity of ~4480x1080 resolution (2x 1280x1024 and 1920x1080). 7850 2GB vs 7950 3GB.
Good idea but there are a ton of extra variables. Really just trying to find the maximum usage at every resolution. Also...the builds themselves shouldn't impact the maximum gddr usage of a game per-se (the impact would be more on maximum video settings one could run).

Great chart, would love to see it in a table format eventually :)

I PMed IMOG to see if we can [Feature] this thread for you :)
Added a table for you.
Interesting results, thanks for sharing Funsoul!
Thanks I.M.O.G...you're welcome. It's definitely been a learning experience for me, too! In shock that a game actually ate more than 4GB...going to re-test BF3 with 3d vision to see if it adds 400MB/400+MB (at 1080p/5760x1080).

Im going to ask a stupid question, how does one measure the usage?

Im planning on going with the 7970 6Gb next, and mainly because of ProjectCARS on eyefinity, but i would like to know how much of the ram i would really be using?

Back