• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 makes a stupid noise and when i touch the DualX mark, it'll disappear

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

william_90

Registered
first it only happens when i cross 70c temperature (im playing shogun war2)
the temp cross 70 and stays at 73 (donno if its harmful but it really burns my hand when i touch GPU's back)
then it starts making an orderly noise with milliseconds silence in between

LL

as shown in picture when i touch the mark with my thumb (not pushing, just slight touch) i sense a slight sinusoidal vibration then the noise will completely gone, the moment i remove my thumb, noise will come back

and when i push it hard for few seconds, i'll be gone but will be back after few minutes

i played AC3 at max but the temp was around 65, i never hit 70 before
so i guess its the first time the fans are at their 100%

about my rig's cooling, its a perfect cooling, my cpu is 55 and overall MB is 40 when GPU is hitting 75

4770k, Z87sabertooth, haf932, hyper212evo (push/pulled orange cougars)

what should i do with it? can i stick sth to it?
thanks

Is that piece plastic? If it's only happening at high temperature, it may be warping a little and putting the fan slightly off balance, which would cause a regular noise.

Seems like what petteyg359 said. Heats up, warps a bit, fan makes weird noise.

Try using wire ties or coat hanger hooked to something to give it a small lift/support.

Yeah probably fan goinig out of balance either at higher temperatures or higher rpms.

Once had a card where I taped a penny tot he fan to keep it in balance...

Back