• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much RAM does your primary computer have installed? 2014 Version

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How much RAM does your primary computer have installed?

• < 2 gig (I give my page filing a workout)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 - 3.9 gig

• 4 - 7.9 gig

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • 8 - 15.9 gig

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • 16 - 31.9 gig

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • 32 - 63.9 gig

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • > 64 gig

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
The poll is on how much memory your main computer has, that you own and use. If you have multiple systems, pick one and leave a message below with details for the rest of the systems you'd like to share.

Previous threads:

Last edited:
Desktop - 32 gb
Laptop - 32 gb

VM Server 1 - 128 gb
VM Server 2 - 288 gb

I'm a bit of a memory-holic.

Upgraded to 8GB from 4GB recently because BF3, BF4, and Crysis 3 will crash if I don't have RAM + Pagefile ≥ 8GB. Otherwise, I don't even need more than 4GB.

16GB (1866Mhz CL8) on the daily driver, and 8GB (2666Mhz CL11) on the benching/review rig.

Still running 16GB I bought back in the Summer of 2012 for $89.99. And people told me it was overkill. Well, I still have that same RAM, and it's still overkill. How many of those people have spent hundreds on various 8GB kits in the mean time? Probably a lot of them.

...How many of those people have spent hundreds on various 8GB kits in the mean time? Probably a lot of them.
Probably not many at all I would imagine. And if they did, they need to pass the dutche to left because 8GB is fine for most users in the first place. Why would someone with 8GB buy multiple kits? I do not understand your meaning I guess...

Probably not many at all I would imagine. And if they did, they need to pass the dutche to left because 8GB is fine for most users in the first place. Why would someone with 8GB buy multiple kits? I do not understand your meaning I guess...

I'm thinking people on Socket 1156 running 1333MHz, then going to Socket 2011 and buying a kit of 1600MHz, then going to Socket 1155 and getting a kit of 2100MHz. Or someone with CL11 1600MHz upgrading to CL10 2100MHz or something of that nature.

I just think it's awesome (and kind of funny) that my "overkill" 16GB of RAM a year and a half ago is now cheaper than a comparable 8GB kit is today, with the same rated speed and compatibility. And that even 2 years later, my RAM is still "overkill". You don't get that kind of longevity out of hardware very often. :thup:

If someone is dumb enough to make those moves, I suppose you are right (but I hope that people have half a head on their shoulders and do not do such things when moving to s2011 to s1155... not to mention that is a performance downgrade in multi-threaded situations so really stupid, LOL!). Me... s1156 (Dual channel) to s2011 (quad channel) essentially requires a purchase, and there is really no reason to get more memory when moving from s2011 to s1155 either as you can reuse all the sticks from the s2011 system anyway (assuming 4x2GB).

Anyway, a bit off topic... sorry!

Last edited:
16gb. I was only going for 8gb, but it was on sale for the price of 8gb the week before. So i figured why not. If I remember right I gave a little less than $100 for the ram on a shell shocker deal.

16 GB, most I've seen HW state is 45% RAM usage at peak. Don't plan to upgrade ram anytime soon. :D

Was a sale on 2400mhz 10-12-12-32 ram for $232 after tax. I use it for 20gb ramdisk that I run a batch file to copy over various games for whatever I'm going to play. Haven't upgraded my computer in a long time so I had the itch.

Gave my gf my 16gb of ram and sold her 8gb for $55.

Back