• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking your screen, can it cause instability?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

Title is the questions. I would think no. I have a 780 that will be here today. This 270x that I have has been quite unstable - I think it's the culprit.

If you were going to see anything from overclocking your screen, I would think it would be lines or some type or distortion. Not system lockups. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
What does it mean to overclock your screen?

I've looked into this a little more and I don't believe there are any issues that can come up to cause system instability. At worst you get lines and graphic issues at no risk of damage to the video card.

Overclocking your screen is increasing the refresh rate. I was able to overclock my screen from 60hz to 90hz. A very noticeable difference. I can't believe I have never experienced 60+hz gaming before. I could not imagine gaming at 60hz ever again.

Last edited:
Wait, whaaaa... How can I do this? If you O/C to 90Hz or something, does it give you a new option in your graphics settings to Vsync to that refresh rate?

He us running a Qnix QX2700 PLS panel mokrunka, it is well known to overclock and many getting to 120Hz-130Hz. Not every screen can OC.

I remember reading something about it on the Korean 27" 1440p thread, but don't recall the software... I'd be interested in knowing as well!

I'll post a video later (at work right now). I used a a few links to software from 120hz.net. I think one of the links goes to the site above but there is another program to download as well.

And yes, you can vsync at the high refresh rates.

This is the video i followed. He has links in description.

Last edited:
This is pretty cool, I've never heard of anyone doing this.

I tried a couple of different pieces of software to oc my Dell 3007 WFP, but wasn't able to get any settings I tried to work. Cool idea nonetheless though!

Back