• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1440p ips monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liquidfire

Hello all, can anyone reccomend a good 1440p ips monitor? I don't have a huge budget say £300 per monitor.

I'm mainly using them for design work. Eg photoshop creating overlays for websites and apps I produce. Hence the need for better pixel density/color accuracy.

I would like to get 3 to run in eyefinity for the real estate along with when I do actually play games. So slim bezel would be nice.

I've obviously seen the various korean monitors but being uk based i don't have the luxery of amazon selling them to me :( heard enough horror stories to sway me away such a bargain.

Any ideas?

All help is greatly appreciated.

This is likely your best bet.

EDIT: Aparently the Qnix isn't on Amazon.co.uk, so I suggest this one instead.

there is no way that dell is 1440p.
it's not
Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor - U2412M
DISPLAY
Diagonal Viewable Size:
24" (60.96 cm) viewable area
Aspect Ratio
Widescreen (16:10)
Panel Type, Surface:
IPS (In-Plane Switching), anti glare with hard coat 3H
Optimal Resolution:
1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz

I ordered mine from Ebay (a korean brand, Achieva Shimian) and love it.
Probably your best route for sub 300

Here is a link for the seller I bought from, lots of options
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_ipg=50&_ssn=bigclothcraft&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=1440&_sop=15

Hi just checked out the dell monitor. It's colors seem well off for even a budget monitor. I've never experienced 16:10 but I presume its not the same quality as 1440p?

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Ill check out the korean monitor again. Might have to bite the bullet and try it. Cheers.

I might be asking too much for too little. Maybe best to spend the £900 on two or even just one monitor.

there is no way that dell is 1440p.
it's not
Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor - U2412M
DISPLAY
Diagonal Viewable Size:
24" (60.96 cm) viewable area
Aspect Ratio
Widescreen (16:10)
Panel Type, Surface:
IPS (In-Plane Switching), anti glare with hard coat 3H
Optimal Resolution:
1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz

I ordered mine from Ebay (a korean brand, Achieva Shimian) and love it.
Probably your best route for sub 300

Here is a link for the seller I bought from, lots of options
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_ipg=50&_ssn=bigclothcraft&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=1440&_sop=15

Odd, it came up when I had 2560x1440 resolution selected in Amazon's sorting function.

Hi just checked out the dell monitor. It's colors seem well off for even a budget monitor. I've never experienced 16:10 but I presume its not the same quality as 1440p?

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Ill check out the korean monitor again. Might have to bite the bullet and try it. Cheers.

I might be asking too much for too little. Maybe best to spend the £900 on two or even just one monitor.

16:10 is just a screen ratio. For example: 1440x900, 1920x1200, and 2560x1600 are all 16:10 resolutions.

The monitor you are looking for (with a resolution of 2560x1440) has a 16:9 screen ratio. Other common 16:9 ratios are 1600x900 and 1920x1080.

Odd, it came up when I had 2560x1440 resolution selected in Amazon's sorting function.
Yea, I saw that when I clicked your link.
I don't think monitor resolution is an attribute they use to sort, which I think is the major problem here

Also like Darknecron pointed out, 16:10 is only a ratio, like 16x9 or 4x3
It's actual resolution is 1920x1200, which is less than you are looking for

16x10 was the widescreen standard for computers after 4x3 but eventually caved to 16x9, probably due to it being more expensive to make(slightly higher resolution) and the marketing cache behind 1080p, seen with TVs.

Last edited:
Sorry that was very poorly worded. By 16:10 vs 1440p I really meant the 16:10 being 1200p(as in the one you linked). 1200p vs 1080p I'm unsure if the extra 120 would have the quality I would like.

Sorry I must re read my replies before hitting post in future.

Sorry that was very poorly worded. By 16:10 vs 1440p I really meant the 16:10 being 1200p(as in the one you linked). 1200p vs 1080p I'm unsure if the extra 120 would have the quality I would like.

Sorry I must re read my replies before hitting post in future.

probably not.
You might want to wait if you are looking to drop serious money on a single display.

Just reading about that 4k monitor Lenovo is talking about for $800
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7635/...sion-pro2830m-28-inch-4k-professional-display

Or the 1440p 120hz Asus was talking about, also $800
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7627/asus-at-ces-2014

Hmm I just clocked a rumoured cheap dell 4k as well.

Will defiantly be worth saving a few more contract closures and get 2 of the 4k ones. Seems phones/tablets are heading the high res route anyway so makes sense.

Cheers everyone :)

Damn I didn't clock the 30hz refresh :(

The main purpose would be for design gaming only once in a blue moon.

Hmm why is it such a struggle over 1080p :(

Yea the Lenovo seems like the better deal for an IPS panel @ 60hz refresh and for only $100 more

Like anything, once you leave the mainstream market, your dollar never goes quite as far.
Volume drives costs down

I looked at your Lenovo monitor link Xeon_KI and remember reading a similar article. THIS article has the same model referenced but the addition of Android built in. Maybe I am missing something.

Back on topic.

What it looks like you may have missed was the article you linked referenced 2 monitors.
1 is the ThinkVision 28, which has the android computer built in and touch screen that you described
2 is the Think Vision Pro 2840m, which is the conventional monitor I was talking about

last line, "The ThinkVision 28 won’t be available until July 2014, according to Lenovo’s press release. Prices for the smart display will start at $1199. The ThinkVision Pro 2840m will be available in April 2014 for $799."

I'm looking forward to April!

I just took delivery of a refurbished HP ZR2740w, 27 inch IPS panel display for $317 shipped off of eBay. Looks brand new and comes with a one year warranty. Has DVI-D and Display Port inputs so I can use my i7 4770 rig with the GTX 760 video, and my i5 Ivy Bridge corporate laptop. Colors appear dead on, and both systems came up at 2560 x 1440 without any fiddling at all. I considered the Korean Qnix, Crossover, et al but figured they are cheaply made and shipping one back to Korea for warranty service was a no go. So I opted for the HP, which has a very stable and fully adjustable base, including portrait mode. Also it doesn't use a PWM to control backlight dimming. Most LCDs do use PWMs, which cause backlight flicker especially at low brightness settings.

Got to say it blows away my 23" HP 1920 x 1080 IPS home monitor, now relegated to my pair of dual Xeon servers, and my 24" HP 1920 x 1200 IPS monitor at the office.

Don't worry about 1440p, 1600p or 4K monitors for now, if you're interested in 120/144Hz performance then you're better off with 1080p until newer video cards comes out with enough power to stay at refresh rate at those resolutions. Though I think the Titan Black and 790i can do it, you'll be paying a hefty amount for it.

I got two of the 27" 1440p dell ultrasharps U2713HM about a year ago directly from Dell during a sale for £360 each, I dunno if they have a sale on right now but they do pop up on HotUKDeals every couple of months for a similar price . The bezel is a bit chunky though.

Back