• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Log: Project HazMat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Small Update

So, another small update (hopefully you folks aren't growing tired of all of them). I've been wrestling with the hell that is cable sleeving and sewing, but I'm nearly done the ATX cables. All that's left is the 4-pin Molex cables, the power SATA cables and the data SATA cables to sleeve (plus a few LEDs and UV light bars). I'll post pictures of my progress so far with those later tonight.

I'm trying to make my own "flat cables" like the ones that you can purchase from Corsair for their modular PSUs. I really dislike how the individually sleeved cables seem to spread out in every which direction. The 24-pin ATX cable was especially difficult since Corsair decided against a 1 to 1 connection schema (no clue why they went proprietary with their connections, but I'll be avoiding their PSUs in the future for sleeving purposes).

Okay, now some actual pictures. Well, sort of... As you know, my fan casings have been painted. But in the process, I managed to flub the Gentle Typhoon stickers that go on the back. So I got to thinking, why not make my own?

ScytheGTGBH.jpg ScytheGTGRA.jpg
ScytheGTOBH.jpg ScytheGTORA.jpg

I have a digital craft cutter (don't ask) that I had purchased ages ago, so I decided to put it to good use. I already have the black biohazard and radioactive symbols cut, but I need to go pick up some white vinyl to make the rest of the stickers.

I've also decided to repaint the casings as I didn't like the coverage or the finish of the fans after the spray paint. I'll be stripping them (with mild soap) and priming them with white primer before airbrushing them and sealing them with a gloss acrylic sealant. Then these labels will be placed on the back and will be visible inside my case (I've decided to go with a pull configuration to showcase the fans better).

If any of you have any suggestions on improving the labels, please let me know. I've played with the idea of having them different colours, but to me this was the most striking without detracting too much from the fans themselves or being an eye strain.

Last edited:
Progress shot of the ATX cables, sleeved and mostly sewn together.

Cables.jpg

The two 8-pin PCI-E cables on the right are not yet sewn together. I've included them to show the difference.

This build is gonna come out nicely. Anyone with this much patience to put so much detail into something normally results in a quality build. Good work so far!

Thanks guys :) glad there are still people following. When I started this, I really had no idea how hard it was going to be to just find time to work on it. Though I do have to say that the more I work on it and the more progress I see, the more I'm excited to see this through.

Crappy phone picture time!

Got the labels done, though there is a very thin white border around some of them. Not sure if I'll redo them yet or if I'll be ok with them :-S Also, I decided against the thick white border as I was having trouble centering the black vinyl. I rather like the results. I hope you will too...

20130221_234100.jpg

Last edited:
Back from the dead...

Hi all. Apologies for the long hiatus (life and all that fun stuff getting in the way), but I figured I'd post a small update.

I've decided against using the Scythe GT AP15's for now. It was taking entirely too long to have them drilled and painted. I may use them in the future, but for now I've decided to go with another choice for fans so that I can get the build finished. Should I choose to later, I can always continue modding and changing it.

The fans I went with are the Cougar CFD12HBR and CFD12HBG.

I'm hoping the red fans will look more orange than red (like in the product shots on the linked pages) once the build is done. This will probably be a large factor of whether I decide to replace them later.

I've also decided to go with push/pull for both rads. Below are a couple of pics with the fans and rads mounted in the case. I'm liking how they look so far.

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

I'm at a loss of what to do about the PSU. I want to avoid having to remove the sticker on the bottom of the case if possible. I have some black adhesive vinyl that I was planning on covering it with but I'm worried the sticker's shape will show through. The other option is to turn the PSU around to have the fan facing the front, but that would impede the airflow to the CPU. Any suggestions?

put in a blanking plate the length of the PSU to hide it completely, maybe

That's a good idea. I'll have to look into that.

I would drop the symbols. It doesn't read as "Haz Mat". I think its better if you just spell out hazmat. Here are some fonts that look cool. http://www.dafont.com/godofwar.font - http://www.dafont.com/digital-anarchy.font - http://www.dafont.com/coalition.font - http://www.dafont.com/xirod.font - Hope that helps. Best of luck!

Yeah, that symbols idea wasn't the best I've had. I'd given up on the lettering, but your idea makes sense. Thanks.

I may just end up removing the PSU sticker. It's doubtful I'll RMA this one. Maybe wrap it in gloss black vinyl (to match the mirror finish of the black frame) and somehow incorporate "hazmat" over top? Hmm...

image.jpg

Leak testing the loop. 14 hours in and no leaks yet.

Blew a pump earlier with a botched filling job, but luckily I had a spare to replace it. Been learning a lot of expensive (and mostly preventable) lessons with this build.

Apologies to those following it. As it's taken so long, it's now become a "complete it already, why don't you" build rather than a true build log. I'll post better pics of the complete rig once it's done. I might attempt a proper build log another time, but for now I just want to get it done and working. I've gone too long without a proper PC...

Back