• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

duron(spitfire) limited to 1200mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevin_bouchard

i have a 800mhz duron, and i am going to cool it with a phasechange system i am building, but Smbiosw, a program that gives detailed specs about your pc, says that the max speed is 1200mhz, is this true? And why does it tell me this? Sisoft Sandra tells me the same thing, but looking at the cpu database there are people that claim that they got higher than 1200mhz, does the software have any information to prove this information or is it just amd telling them what to display.

It all depends on how far the rest of your hardware can stand to be pushed, the stepping of your processor, AND how effective your cooling is.
Beyond that it's pure luck of the draw as to wether or not you can get something better than everyone else.

i think the max speed rating comes from the manufacturer's planned max speed for that chip. i think the spitfire was supposed to hit 1.2Ghz before it was phazed out so that would explain why programs like sandra and smbiosw report that speed. i never got mine over 1.14Ghz but i belive it could break 1.2Ghz in the right hands.

so in short. i think AMD told them what to put.

finally, you'll never know until you try :p GOOD LUCK!

thanks guys for all the answers, as for my motherboard i currently have a microstar K7T turbl LE and it does support 13x for multiplier. Also I know that overclocking has lots to do with chance, but i wanted to know if there was some kind of lock or something that wouldn't let it go higher than 1.2ghz. Well thanks again for the answers.:beer:

Back