• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

safe even without anti-static wrist strap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbieTech

Registered
it is safe to do so if i touch the metal casing of the psu or the case to ground myself rite??...i dont want to fuk up anything while putting my computer together

Wrist straps are best if you decide to work on your computer. But if you can not get one then do this.

1. Work in as static free enviroment as you can. Tile floors work well. Do not do this on the carpet.

2. Ground yourself by touching the metal casing inside your computer. (like what you said)

3. Every so often re ground yourself to get rid of any static build up you may have gotten.

But I would still recommend buying a wrist strap. That little 4.99 investment could save you haveing to buy new equipment. Also some things are more prone to discharge than others. Hard drives are notorious for this. Just try and keep your fingers away from anything that looks expensive!!!:D

Wrist strap

I DEFINITELY have to agree w/ daddyof2. Two days ago I opened my case just long enough to hop the clear CMOS jumper, thought I was fine, but w/out my wrist strap I managed to zap my fancy g4 Ti4600. If I can't get PNY to warranty it, it'll be a $400 lesson in ALWAYS wearing a wrist strap anytime you open your case.
However, whether I will actually learn my lesson remains to be seen. He He!!:cool:

i never zaped 1 part from static and ive built 25 or some comp and in mine everyday :O never used anti static wrist wrap i always ground myself to the psu tho why spend extra money before the bad luck comes :]

True.....after all I've been building and/or gutting systems since I got my first PC in '95 (Geez I feel old, remembering when floppies were the size of notebook paper and graphics were cute arrangements of --**//\\**-- on a black/white screen) and the only other part I ever fried was a piece of c**p modem that was useless anyway. Guess I'm still just antsy because I got careless and should have known better.

So - if your the paranoid type, by all means use a wrist strap. If it causes you no fear and you're willing to be careful, by all means go bare back.

Back