• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

highest quality 56k modems :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lumen

56k and ISDN are the only lines avaialbe in my area. There is also Satellite but, that does not perform to well for mmorpg's and online fps games.
Does anyone know the highest fidelity company in the 56k area?

3Com/USR External...

*EDIT* btw, nice avitar, going to see him at the gorge (washington) on Sep 7th...

Last edited:
Originally posted by SkaGoatMaster
The high end US Robotics modems aren't bad either.

USRobotics was bought by 3Com Hence the mention "3Com/USR" USR being USRobotics :D

One of the teachers at my school was discussing his 56k isp service. He claimed that he was able to format his tcp/ip packets so that they would be able to handle over 56k worth of transmissions so much that it doubles. You should look into how this is done and find a service provider in your area that will allow this.

Agreed on the USR external modems. The Zooms are not bad either. I use a USR into a D-Link 713P router which feeds the home network.

Look for an ISP with 3XS accelerator software. It’s a compression algorithm that your ISP uses and your computer decodes. File downloads won’t be any faster but with decent phone lines, text and graphics should load at 128k ISDN speeds or a tad better. I find general surfing with dialup and 3XS performs better than my old Starband satellite system. For $24 a month, it’s this boonie dweller’s Internet connection savior. :)

Edit: 3XS is what I believe trdsw20 was speaking of.

Last edited:
Colin said:
Edit: 3XS is what I believe trdsw20 was speaking of.

That (Compression) is the only way I can think of getting better performance from dialup. Seeing as how a single phone link is only capable of 64k. 64k minus overhead, and legal restrictions and you endup with 56k

Back