• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Erm... Where is Custom Search in Windows 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The extent to which the new search engine sucks, exhibits A, B and C :sly:

Attachments

• SearchSucks1.jpg
    SearchSucks1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 498
  • SearchSucks2.jpg
    SearchSucks2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 495
  • SearchSucks3.jpg
    SearchSucks3.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 459
all i can think is that windows isn't indexing that folder for some reason

Simple freeware third party programs can detect it. Windows XP on the same machine can detect it and do so every time for anything that's there.

All I can think about *whenever* I get a 'No items match your search' result in Windows Vista/7: is it because it's not there or is it because Windows Vista/7 are not detecting it on account of their broken and unreliable search engines! :)

Last edited:
do you have indexing enabled or always search files and contents?

I do have indexing disabled but it's not like Windows Vista/7 search engines can't find anything, they just miss things once in a while I've been noticing but this is the first time I took screen shots to prove it.

Indexing is just supposed to help you find things faster at the cost of constant hard drive activity, correct?

ya indexing is just supposed to make it faster. if you have indexing turned on i think you can exclude certain directories and then it will miss those files when you search. check your folder options in the control panel to make sure it's not set to index.

How did I miss this, thanks splat, I just realized you posted this:

Add "Search..." back to the right-click menu.

1. Click Start.
2. Type regedit in the Search Bar and press Enter.
3. Browse to the following registry key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ Directory\ shell\ find
4. Locate the LegacyDisable subkey. Rename it to LegacyDisable.bak
5. That’s it. The hack is over. From now on whenever you will right-click on any folder you will see the Search… option again.

Back