• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor with no holes for arm mount??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And thanks to your advice, this is exactly what I did.

back.jpg

front.jpg

No sense in selling the monitor after I bought it this year (HP 2711x). Bought another one (HP 2011x) to mount next to it vertically. Didn't know there wasn't a VESA mount when I purchased it and found out the hard way after I bought the stand. It cost me a 20 dollar bill and a couple hours of time which I don't consider too much of a hardship. Thanks again! Peace out--BF3 for PC all the way.

BTW: This is an ABS plastic mount glued to the back with ABS cement--cut to size--drilled and thrilled!

Hey 702x, I currently own HP x22 LCD, which is a non-vesa monitor. If you don't mind, could you walk me through how you modified the monitor to mount on a VESA arm?

Thanks!

1. Make a 100mm or 75mm paper template (6x6 or 5x5) depending on how big your monitor is.

1.1 I used Autocad, but you can easily cut out a 6x6 or 5x5 square piece of cardboard or paper and then take the mount from the stand and mark your holes onto the template.

2. Purchase a 1/4" 12x12 ABS plastic sheet or smaller. http://www.amazon.com/ABS-Textured-...TNSW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315583212&sr=8-2

2.1 Purchase a small can of ABS Cement and Acetone.

3. For 100mm mount I cut out a 6x6 square, and for 75mm 5x5 is good.

4. Purchase 4-3/4" 4mm hex head bolts along with 4 nuts and 8 washers.

5. Purchase or use hot soldering iron with a suitable tip for melting/welding plastic.

6. Carefully use a screw driver to press down and unhook the plastic tabs holding the back cover on. (I started near the bottom next to the function/menu/power buttons) and remove the back.

7. Find the center of the back. I used the circle HP logo and measured 3" out from center and marked the edges.

8. Cut out a 6x6 or 5x5 square piece of ABS plastic.

9. Prep the area lightly with a paper towel and Acetone on both the back and the plastic plate. Then apply ABS cement to the back overlapping a bit. Then press the plate down onto the glue using pressure for a few seconds.

10. Tape your template to the back of the now glued plastic blank on the back cover, and drill your 4mm holes (find a bit that closely matches a bolt).

11. Place all 4 bolts through the holes with washers and nuts and tighten them.

12. Find a scrap piece of ABS plastic to use as filler/welding material and melt the plastic all around each nut. Melt a tad bit on the top of each nut as well so it won't fall out once you remove the bolts.

13. Remove the bolts and snap the back cover back on to the front.

14. Get help or carefully hold the monitor to your desk top stand mount and carefully thread your bolts into the holes, and TIGHTEN.

:attn:

monitor-007.jpg

Last edited:
1. Make a 100mm or 75mm paper template (6x6 or 5x5) depending on how big your monitor is.

1.1 I used Autocad, but you can easily cut out a 6x6 or 5x5 square piece of cardboard or paper and then take the mount from the stand and mark your holes onto the template.

2. Purchase a 1/4" 12x12 ABS plastic sheet or smaller. http://www.amazon.com/ABS-Textured-...TNSW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315583212&sr=8-2

2.1 Purchase a small can of ABS Cement and Acetone.

3. For 100mm mount I cut out a 6x6 square, and for 75mm 5x5 is good.

4. Purchase 4-3/4" 4mm hex head bolts along with 4 nuts and 8 washers.

5. Purchase or use hot soldering iron with a suitable tip for melting/welding plastic.

6. Carefully use a screw driver to press down and unhook the plastic tabs holding the back cover on. (I started near the bottom next to the function/menu/power buttons) and remove the back.

7. Find the center of the back. I used the circle HP logo and measured 3" out from center and marked the edges.

8. Cut out a 6x6 or 5x5 square piece of ABS plastic.

9. Prep the area lightly with a paper towel and Acetone on both the back and the plastic plate. Then apply ABS cement to the back overlapping a bit. Then press the plate down onto the glue using pressure for a few seconds.

10. Tape your template to the back of the now glued plastic blank on the back cover, and drill your 4mm holes (find a bit that closely matches a bolt).

11. Place all 4 bolts through the holes with washers and nuts and tighten them.

12. Find a scrap piece of ABS plastic to use as filler/welding material and melt the plastic all around each nut. Melt a tad bit on the top of each nut as well so it won't fall out once you remove the bolts.

13. Remove the bolts and snap the back cover back on to the front.

14. Get help or carefully hold the monitor to your desk top stand mount and carefully thread your bolts into the holes, and TIGHTEN.

:attn:

monitor-007.jpg

Hey, Thank you for taking time writing down the instruction. I'll definitely give it a go and see how it goes!

The zip tie solution is a little over the top. I disassembled the base for the monitor, pulled out the piece that actually attaches to the monitor, screwed it onto some plywood, and then screwed the VESA mount onto that. Much cleaner.

So easy my gf can do it (sexist?)

When I finally opened up the new HP IPS 23" monitor my gf had been desiring for months, my heart sank when I realized there were no mounting holes. I had bought the monitor over a month ago from Best Buy while I was purchasing the other components needed to hook up a 2nd monitor to her MacBook Pro, so now it is too late to return. I quick googled how to install a mount when there are no mounting holes and found this site and lamented how difficult and time consuming it would be not to mention potential damage to her beautiful monitor.

When she got home and I told her the trouble, she said, "Let's take it apart and try. It will be fun!" So we actually worked together to get the plastic casing off the back of the glass panel - she did most of the work here while I tried not to touch anything fearing we would break it. It was kind of cool to see the guts - there really isn't that much to a monitor. And it really was a fun task. I just made a paper template and drilled the holes into the plastic. There were some tolerance issues, but moved the screws a little and it was fine. I mounted screws from the inside of the casing to the outside and torqued nuts directly onto the casing - like jackscrews if you know hardware. The mount holes fit onto the jackscrews and I used wing nuts to hold the mount to the monitor.

It took time, but what a blast and man was she excited. The result is beautiful - not like that wire tie travesty.

Attachments

• Monitor Mount.jpg
    Monitor Mount.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 1,465
Last edited:
Back