• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The best 3D experience?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

piecookie

Hi

I'm looking for a monitor that delivers good and "immersive" 3D. I'm Not happy with my S27A950D partly because I do not have an AMD card, and partly because I think the 3D is pretty poor.

I've been keeping my eyes on the Asus VG278HR with NVIDIA 3D Vision 2.0, but is unsure and wonder if there is a better combination?

I'll mainly game and watch 3D movies.

All help is welcome!

hi piecookie!

I'm very happy with my vg278h's and, from what I can tell, the new versions have some nice improvements. NVidia is, imho, the only way to go for 3D. A nice asus 120Hz (or higher), 27" monitor with a good 7-series card (or 2...3D's a resource pig) is about as good as it gets atm.

That said...you should fiddle with the 3d-centric settings on your s27 before jumping on anything else. You might also want to get a pair of the nvidia 3d glasses (v2 if possible...it was a big improvement over v1) and see how that changes things. That sammy panel looks great so it may just be a matter of ditching DDD and moving to NV.

Last edited:
hi piecookie!

I'm very happy with my vg278h's and, from what I can tell, the new versions have some nice improvements. NVidia is, imho, the only way to go for 3D. A nice asus 120Hz (or higher), 27" monitor with a good 7-series card (or 2...3D's a resource pig) is about as good as it gets atm.

That said...you should fiddle with the 3d-centric settings on your s27 before jumping on anything else. You might also want to get a pair of the nvidia 3d glasses (v2 if possible...it was a big improvement over v1) and see how that changes things. That sammy panel looks great so it may just be a matter of ditching DDD and moving to NV.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes i love my current monitor except for the quite lame 3D. I can't use Nvidia 3D vision since my monitor is not capable with Nvidia. It's built for AMD.

So the only reason for "upgrading" would be for a neater 3D experience.

Hard choice.

Hmmmm....I thought any 120Hz monitor can work with 3D Vision? Take a look here and here ....you might be able to get it working.

If you can't get it working nicely then, yep, looks like it's time to sell that monitor and get one that's officially supported. I've tried tri-def as well as 3d vision....nvidia's solution is at least 2-3 years ahead of ati's setup (and based on a lot of reasons I won't go into here...NV will likely continue to beat the pants off ati in this space for at least the next couple years). Imho there's just no comparison....3d vision is a much more immersive, richer and better looking 3d experience.

Hmmmm....I thought any 120Hz monitor can work with 3D Vision? Take a look here and here ....you might be able to get it working.

If you can't get it working nicely then, yep, looks like it's time to sell that monitor and get one that's officially supported. I've tried tri-def as well as 3d vision....nvidia's solution is at least 2-3 years ahead of ati's setup (and based on a lot of reasons I won't go into here...NV will likely continue to beat the pants off ati in this space for at least the next couple years). Imho there's just no comparison....3d vision is a much more immersive, richer and better looking 3d experience.

No, unfortunately not. I've been looking into tweaks for my monitor, but it's just to messy and i want a simple and complete solution.

3D-Vision sounds very good though.

Will it work nice with my rig?

i5 2500k @ 4,6ghz
Gtx 780Ti ACX
8GB 1600mhz

Thx.

It'll work great with your setup. If you want an idea of how it'll run, find reviews (which have similar hardware) on games you play and divide the fps by 2. You likely won't be able to run everything at max settings but it's a great experience (imho, of course).

Played some movies...definitely high cool factor but the gaming is excellent (depending on the game, of course).

It'll work great with your setup. If you want an idea of how it'll run, find reviews (which have similar hardware) on games you play and divide the fps by 2. You likely won't be able to run everything at max settings but it's a great experience (imho, of course).

Played some movies...definitely high cool factor but the gaming is excellent (depending on the game, of course).

Ok!

Yes.

I Mostly play Skyrim and Battlefield 4 aswell as Dota 2.

I can imagine skyrim becoming an excellent game to play in 3D. But all in all, would you recommend me buying this monitor for the 3D-gaming? and maybe selling my old one? I could keep both though.

Thx a bunch!

Wait until you see Skyrim in 3D!!!!! Gorgeous, stunning, magnificent and wicked immersive are just a few words I'd use to describe it in 3D (after you get all the right add-ons, fixes, texture packs, etc done).

All in all, if you want the 3D experience, I would definitely buy a different monitor (make sure it's 3D Vision certified, though). Also...DEFINITELY sell your current monitor. If your 3d experience is anything like mine, you'll be wanting to add 2 more monitors down the road hehehe

Wait until you see Skyrim in 3D!!!!! Gorgeous, stunning, magnificent and wicked immersive are just a few words I'd use to describe it in 3D (after you get all the right add-ons, fixes, texture packs, etc done).

All in all, if you want the 3D experience, I would definitely buy a different monitor (make sure it's 3D Vision certified, though). Also...DEFINITELY sell your current monitor. If your 3d experience is anything like mine, you'll be wanting to add 2 more monitors down the road hehehe

Thanks once again!

I've got another question.

Is the 3D popping in games like skyrim? Does it really feels like the stuffs gets in your face?

I'm really looking for the whole experience, not only adding depth but I want things to pop-out of the screen!

It can....a lot of that is dependent on what settings you use. I tend to set mine so the image starts at the plane of the screen and goes inward. Popping out can look/feel a little weird for me (no...not the eye strain or nausea that some ppl report with 3d movies and such...just some stuff doesn't seem to line up right to me).

All pretty much user-configurable though some games are more responsive to settings changes (better 3d vision compatibility) than others.

Since you haven't played with it yet...would definitely recommend selling your current monitor and using those funds to offset the cost of a new one.

Last edited:
Having been playing with 3D since back in the ELSA 3D Revelator days, I can finally say that 3D has finally made it to the point of being very acceptable on LCD with Lightboost enabled monitors and 3D Vision 2. Look for a Lightboost enabled monitor (Asus VG248 is what I'm using right now) and enjoy your 3D.

It can....a lot of that is dependent on what settings you use. I tend to set mine so the image starts at the plane of the screen and goes inward. Popping out can look/feel a little weird for me (no...not the eye strain or nausea that some ppl report with 3d movies and such...just some stuff doesn't seem to line up right to me).

All pretty much user-configurable though some games are more responsive to settings changes (better 3d vision compatibility) than others.

Since you haven't played with it yet...would definitely recommend selling your current monitor and using those funds to offset the cost of a new one.

Yes, maybe. I'm afraid I might get disappointed and return to 2D. Hmm, it's a hard choice.

But you sound convincing!

Having been playing with 3D since back in the ELSA 3D Revelator days, I can finally say that 3D has finally made it to the point of being very acceptable on LCD with Lightboost enabled monitors and 3D Vision 2. Look for a Lightboost enabled monitor (Asus VG248 is what I'm using right now) and enjoy your 3D.

Ok, maybe I will go for the Vg278HR

I think you'll be pleased with one of the asus monitors even if you decide 3D isn't for you. Since you've never tried it you will be taking a risk, though.

Back