• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system setup suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so ASRock 990FX Extreme9 instead of the asus sabertooth

also not sure why, I am not getting email notification when you reply. it worked and suddenly stopped for the past 20 posts or so

Last edited:
also pleas share your thoughts on number of different graphic cards which are not expensive yet very powerful and can give me a realistic experience on my fsx.

"Not expensive yet very powerful" is an oxymoron. However, considering FSX is almost 8 years old, I'm guessing any current gen GPU will do the trick. I can't promise that though, as I can't seem to find any recent benchmarks for FSX.

mine is current gen gt650 yet not great quality and paid £100.

that is why i asked if cpu does also play a rule in there?

any view re the 10 phase board?

When you debate between the Asrock EXT9 mobo and the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, you are whistling into a facing wind if you are hung up on the number of VRM phases of those two very good motherboards. Either board is probably very good. The reality is there is way more data compliled of and by users of the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. Most of us that clock the PEE out of 8 core FX processors are fully familiar with any oddity of the SaberKitty. Not even nearly as familiar with the EXT 9 even though I have its' precursor and a very powerful mobo. I use the CHV and the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional which was the precursor to the EXT9.

IF I had to really choose, I expect I would go with the Asus board as IT has a memory setting in ram setup that the Asrock Fatal1ty that I have does NOT have and I use that setting to allow ME to run mis-matched kits of ram. Running mis-matched kits of ram is NEVER suggested and I do it after nearly 2 decades of fooling with bioses and ram settings. U don't seem to need such since you can just buy matcching ram kits if needed.

If you go to FSX forums there is a freeken mountain of information there. There are new patches to use on that abandoned game by M$. The newer patches allow some use of multi-core processors. Without the patching only a single core is used in FSX.

Now one final thought I have come across is that a friend of mine suggested to me that high cpu speed was always his best tool with his FSX use. He played FSX on an FX-6300 clocked to over 5.0Ghz since he did not have to cool 8 freeken cores. Then HE moved to a D*MN most excellent piece of silicon and some $350 worth of DIY cooling and played his FSX at 5.2Ghz. But he did his time in the trenches and spent for speed by virtue of cooling and rolling the dice on aNother FX-8350 and that made his fourth try at awsome cpu, I believe.

So you can do all the back and forth and it will come down to awesome power supply. Best mobo believed available for FX 8 core processsors and finished off with as much cooling as can be fitted in an around a cpu case to handle the hEAt of FX processors. That really does sum up the race to high speed AMD FX processors.
RGone...

EDIT:
I had almost forgotten this but my bud with the fast arse FX and using FSX sim was running an over 1KW Ultra power supply and I kept telling him to ditch that high dollar older dog and he did for a much better spec'd 850 watt power supply and upped his P95 Blend stable cpu speed by 100Mhz with ONLY the changing of the power supply. Skimp on a power supply and everything connected to it can suffer in some small way and ways not immediately evident.
END EDIT.

very good suggestion , will open a account in the forums and start gaining insight to the configurations for the specific game.

many thanks

for anyone interested how to find out how many phase your vrm has , I found this
explanation which should be straight forward .

is the vrm voltage same as the motherboard voltage on hardware monitor?
in another word how can I monitor its temp and what is considered hot ? above 70?

if as per my previous notes anyone could suggest a good gpu that will be much appreciated

"

It is not difficult to tell how many phases there are on a motherboard, for those who are curious. Look at the big black squares, called chokes (They're inductors, boxes containing coils that basically help filter and limit the current). If you see 10... that usually means an 8+2. 5... usually a 4+1. Sometimes there are different combinations depending on the platform. Note that amount of chokes will not necessarily mean that you have that amount of phases (due to such things as split phasing, defined by the PWM controller), however a split 4+1 phase with 10 chokes (split 8+2 power system) is still capable of handling more current than a split 4+1 phase with 5 chokes.

Also, a list of all AMD motherboards with detailed VRM information including quality/amount of phases can be found here."

also what is considered hot for mb and cpu ?

My cpu is mostly at 60-68 and aux on hwmonitor which i suppose it is the vrm is the same.

is that too hot?
according to speed fan software it is hot .

looking at amd website their max tjmax was around 70 for my cpu but not sure what it is for my board.

if you are running boarder line, is that dangerous ?

I am confused whether the aux reading on hwmonitor is the vrm or something else.

also using heat gun, I can see my vrm is around 60 degree by pointing it at the heat sink

further more the cpu are all maxed at 100% and gpu to 50% at most suggesting my issue is cpu and not gpu.

i welcome any suggestions

many thanks

Back