• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED The Green Colossus water cooling build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
View attachment 142109

looks like it blew up from the inside. it made a big poof of smoke and freaked me out.

when I was testing lighting and fans I had some kind of short in the wiring. that's the wire from the fan controller to a fan splitter. I replaced it and everything seems to be working fine.

Wow. Good to hear everything else is ok. Crossed wires by accident?

results of white ice water box

lets go back a little bit, before the water box. when I was gaming with NVidia surround 3 screens I was getting hot temps on my GPUs and liquid. the GPUs under load would go over 50c and the water temp would be close to 50c, making my temp DT was like 25c. CRAZY! found out playing with the side panel off helped a lot which made the temp DT drop down to 10c. so I came to the conclusion that the fans weren't cutting it. I put too much work into them to just replace them, plus I love the look of them. I then decided to create a water box where the radiators would be installed.

Frontangle.png

here's the finished water box connected to the green colossus

SAM_0362.JPG

everything's up and running and working great. first things first I wanted to test the new set up to see if it was worth it. turned on Dirt 3 with triple screens 1080p Ultra settings. did a couple of races and then I just let the replay run on. GPUs almost at 100% load they were just around 97 to 99% and clocked @ 1205MHz for about 3 hours straight. Oh and I had prime95 on at the same time making the CPU 100% load on all 4 cores.

so everything was at max load for 3 hours with the door panel on.

temp readings at the end of test:
ambient temp = 25.7c
inside case temp = 26.1c
water temp = 28.4c
both GPUs never went over 40c
DT 2.7c

Attachments

• SAM_0425.JPG
    SAM_0425.JPG
    822.1 KB · Views: 379
  • SAM_0427.JPG
    SAM_0427.JPG
    632.1 KB · Views: 368
  • SAM_0424.JPG
    SAM_0424.JPG
    605 KB · Views: 452
temp readings at the end of test:
ambient temp = 25.7c
inside case temp = 26.1c
water temp = 28.4c
both GPUs never went over 40c
DT 2.7c

Now that's what I call a "extreme" water cooling loop. Was looking for that one chart from Swiftech but I guess they have since taken it down. It stated basically anyone from 0-5c Delta = Extreme System / 5c-10c Delta = High End System etc.

So I got around to adding some finishing touches and lighting to my radiator box keep in mind did not touch any plumbing. I powered everything up, about a minute goes by and I notice some water drops on top of the gpu back plate it was coming from the cpu block. So I pulled the power as fast as I can. I dried off the water then I thought to my self if maybe some got underneath the back plate so I tilt the computer a little bit on its side and water came pouring out. This sucks.

My question is how long would you recommend before powering it back on? And what are chances that the gpu is going to be ok?

I'd put a box fan beside the case blowing air in overnight.

No clue on chances, but if it hadn't cut off on its own it should live.

Thanks atminside did what you suggested and I got lucky cause so far the gpu still works. Sweet:)

Leak was coming from one of the monsoon light port plugs. I resealed the lens and its good to go.

Thanks atminside did what you suggested and I got lucky cause so far the gpu still works. Sweet:)

Leak was coming from one of the monsoon light port plugs. I resealed the lens and its good to go.

Great news!! Glad you found the culprit!

UPDATE

i added some cool lighting to the radiator box and enclosed it with sheet metal. i might add a front window panel to completely close it. some day.

SAM_0721.JPG

SAM_0718.JPG

SAM_0717.JPG

the led kit has a remote that you can change the colors of the leds.

SAM_0710.JPG

SAM_0713.JPG

SAM_0712.JPG

SAM_0716.JPG

SAM_0714.JPG

SAM_0715.JPG

had to fix and replace some of the leds in the main rig.

SAM_0689.JPG

SAM_0704.JPG

SAM_0705.JPG

SAM_0706.JPG

SAM_0707.JPG

finished pics

SAM_0724.JPG

SAM_0727.JPG

SAM_0730.JPG

Back